A good whole house surge protector is essential to ensuring that you and your appliances are safe in the event of a power surge.
The best home surge protectors will be rated for indoor and outdoor use, are easy to install inside of any residential load center, and come with an extended manufacturer’s warranty.
On the other hand, a poor-quality surge protector is a safety incident just waiting to happen. Surge protectors are not something to go cheap on.
To help you separate the good from the bad – we’ve reviewed the Top 5 Whole House Surge Protectors of 2019. Buy with the confidence that you’re buying high-quality protection for your home.
Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
Best Whole House Surge Protectors
Preview Product Key Features Price Square D by Schneider Electric HEPD80 Home Electronics Protective Device $90.33 Buy on Amazon Leviton 51120-1 Panel Protector, 120/240-Volt $128.00 Buy on Amazon EATON CHSPT2ULTRA Ultimate Surge Protection 3rd Edition, 2.38" Length,... $82.99 Buy on Amazon Siemens FS140 Whole House Surge Protection $210.11 Buy on Amazon Intermatic IG1240RC3 Whole Home Type-1 or 2 Surge Protection Device $115.83 Buy on Amazon
- Equal protection to circuits and receptacles throughout home. Protects appliances/equipment that are not plugged into a surge strip
- Includes an LED indicator
- NEMA 4X rated for outdoor/indoor use, 80,000 amp Surge Current Rating, 25,000 amp SCCR. CSA and UL 1449 3rd Edition Type 1 SPD
Schneider Electric’s Square D provides equal protection to your home, and it keeps the electrical as well as digital equipment that is not connected with the surge strip safe massive lightning bursts. The Square D comes with a LED indicator and is also NEMA 4X rated for both indoor and outdoor usage.
It has 80,000 amps Surge Current Rating (SCR) along with 25,000 amps SCCR. The surge protector is UL 1449 and CSA 3rd Edition Type 1 SPD approved as well. The Square D can be easily linked with any residential load center, and you can confirm that your house is protected from the surge by having a look at the LED indicator.
This surge protector is covered by five years warranty for residential downline too. The Square D is very easy to install and provides superior performance. Its dimensions are 2.7-inch x 3.8-inch x 3.6-inch while the weight is only 2 pounds because it is made of plastic.
- It is equipped suppression circuitry for high voltages and energies to keep the equipment and appliances within the household safe.
- Each of its Metal Oxide Varistors (MOV) are fused individually.
- LED light indicates the current working status of the surge protector.
- It is ideally suited for indoor use or in the harsh outdoor environments as well.
- It is very easy to installs and provides an outstanding output.
- The LED indicator is too dim for anyone to see that the surge protector is working or not.
The Square D is easy to install and delivers exceptional performance. The whole house surge protector from Schneider Electric is quality tested and approved. It has much to offer at a pretty decent price plus it comes with a five years product warranty as well.
- Universally connects to any manufacturer’s load center (breaker box)
- Easy to use
- High quality product
The Surge Protection 3rd Edition from Eaton comes with a welded mounting panel so that it can be connected with the main board easily. This surge protector also has the rating of NEMA 4 and is SPD Type 2. It can quickly take a maximum surge per phase of up to 108kA. The dimensions of this surge protector device are 2.4-inch x 5.2-inch x 7.5-inch with the weight of 1 pound.
The shipment weight will be a slightly over 1 pound. This device is also UL certified and is listed as Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor. There are some modes of protection that are available with this instrument. There is Line-to-Neutral control, Neutral-to-Ground control, Line-to-Line control and Line-to-Ground control.
- The device comes with a mounting panel.
- The product is UL approved and has NEMA 4 rating.
- It offers excellent value for money due to its numerous features.
- The device is equipped with some protection modes as well.
- The method uses #14 stranded copper wires that are tin-platted because it won’t fit in the 50 amp breaker with #6 wires.
- It’s supplied cable is not too long for various applications.
It offers excellent value for money, and it comes with the wall panel as well. It is quality assured product and provides some modes of protections once it is installed. If your breakers that are bigger and has #14 wire then this is the ideal whole house surge protector that you can use.
- 120/240 Volt Panel Protector 4-Mode Protection
- Real time diagnostic visual indicator shows power and suppression status for each protected phase
- Standard J-Box metal enclosures
The Panel Protector from Leviton is of 120/240V capacity and comes with 4-Mode protection. The metal box comes with a real time visual indicator for diagnosis of suppression and power status of all the phases. The metal enclosure of the device is a standard J-Box.
The whole house surge protector is fully compatible with Decora Home Controls, and it comes with a ten-year lifetime warranty as well. The device is designed to divert the high voltage or energy away from the sensitive equipment within the household and it ideally suitable for apartments, homes as well as services entrances.
The device can also work well in the small scale commercial buildings. This surge protector is highly compatible and very simple to install. The product dimensions are 14.4-inch x 8.4-inch x 6.9-inch, and it weighs 4.7 pounds.
- The surge protector device comes with 4-Mode protection and 120/240V protector for panels.
- The device comes with ten years warranty.
- The steel box keeps it far more durable than any other device of this category.
- The visual indicator shows the suppression and current status of all the phases that are protected by this instrument.
- The unit is specifically designed for indoor use only.
- Slightly expensive because of the metal design.
The product is built to last long. For this reason, you can expect the price to be slightly higher than the previous two. However, if you are looking for a surge protector that protects your house indoors, then this is the ideal device for you as you can keep all your appliances and equipment safe from many power surges.
- First Surge Surge Protective Devices (SPDs) are Type 2 and UL / cUL 1449 listed, meeting designated protection requirements
- Get 3 stage commercial grade notification for your commercial or residential applications
- Compatible with any brand of load center and breakers
The Whole House Surge Protector from Siemens is another one of those devices that are listed in UL 1449. The type 2 surge protector is equipped with commercial grade notification system that is based on three stages. The surge suppressor can be used for both business and residential purposes. The SPD from Siemens is compatible with any branded breaker or load center. It weighs just over 2.5 lbs, and the dimensions are 6-inch x 10-inch x 4-inch.
The advantage here it takes over from the previous one on this list is that Siemens Whole House Surge Protector has an enclosure that is rated type 4 for outdoor usage. So it can be used with the load center as well as on the outside. The product comes with ten years warranty from the company. It can take a maximum surge current of 20 kA. The device is also equipped with an alarm system as well that is integrated with its notification status.
- In case of any issue, you can go for the warranty claim within 10years from the date of purchase.
- The devices can be used both for indoors and outdoors.
- In addition to visual alerts, it also gives audible alerts.
- The type 2 surge protector device is listed in UL 1449.
- The size of the device is too big, and due to this, it does not fit in the breaker box.
- You must purchase a conduit separately for this device in addition to the expensive appliance.
The device from Siemens function well but the size is too big. The good thing is it can be used on the outdoors, and you can use a conduit with the device and in that case size doesn’t matter. The device can be used anywhere and is equipped with some mortification mechanisms to alert regarding a power surge.
The Panel Guard from Intermatic is also a type 2 whole house surge protector and has a greater capacity as compared to the various plug-in strips. You can install it on 120/240V panels and singles as well. It also has a green light indicator to notify when a surge strikes. The best part about this surge device is if you need some wires to work with then this device comes with four different 12 gauge leads all 30-inch in size.
The device is CSA listed and has NEMA 3R rating. It is also made of plastic and only weighs around 2 pounds. The dimensions of this surge protector are 6.5-inch x 8.3-inch x 8-inch. In case you have any issue with this surge protector than the product from Intermatic is cover by five years of warranty as well. However, make sure that the green light stays on because it indicates that the device is working properly.
- The whole house surge protector from Intermatic is a type 2 device that has better capacity than the regular plug-ins.
- It also comes with permanent mounting feet.
- The device comes with four 30-inch long 12 gauge wires as well.
- The product is quality assured by CSA and NEMA as well.
- For some people, the quality of this device might be cheap, but it goes well with the price.
- NEMA ratings are low as compared to other devices as well.
This device is developed to provide essential features, and it does that pretty well at the prevailing price.
Whole House Surge Buying Guide
What should I look for when buying a surge suppressor?
There are two components that you must look for when buying a surge suppressor or surge protector device. These two elements are safety and performance. When it comes to safety, you must look for the individual suppression circuit must be fused to remove MOV that is inoperative in case an extreme event occurs. It must also provide over current protection when the suppressor is in faulty condition. Regarding performance, you must look for the clamping voltage and the surge current capacity.
How to install whole house surge protector?
There are a few simple steps that you need to consider. First turn off the electricity from the main board and then remove the front of the panel which will expose the circuit breakers. After that remove the knockout plug from the side and install the surge protector. It is better to have a professional handle this task for added safety and accuracy.
How does a surge protector work?
A surge protector is a device that keeps the appliances and electrical equipment in the house out of the harm’s way. The harm’s way we are referring to is the spikes in voltage. The surge protector limits the voltage that goes to an appliance or equipment. It is done by either blocking the current or shorting it to ground. The surge protector treats any voltage above the safe threshold in the same manner.
Do all the surge protector devices come with manufacturer’s warranties?
No, not all manufacturers’ provide this facility to their customers. However, those who give warranty, cover everything connected with the device. For instance, Belkin US offers warranty for every equipment connected to their device. You might not need it at all, but it is always a good decision having this warranty to keep everything on the safe side.
Do surge protectors work? Why don’t these devices last longer?
Yes, they do work, these devices are designed to take the hit from the energy burst and during the process protect the appliances and equipment in the home. If the whole house surge protector is working fine, then it means that there has been no energy spike of any kind. Otherwise, it would have taken the hit. It all depends on the time that has passed between the two waves, nothing else.
After assessing each of the above options, the winners turn out to be the Square D from Schneider Electric. This device is not only efficient but also checks other constituent parts like safety and performance. The protector can be used for both indoor and outdoor use. For this reason, we have ranked it at the top of our list of recommended whole house surge protectors.