An appliance surge protector is a device that protects home appliances – like refrigerators, washing machines, and dryers – from unwanted power surges.
A good appliance surge protector is a must-have item in all homes – but most people don’t realize its importance until something blows up.
It’s important to get a surge protector with a high surge protection rating that’s been certified by a nationally recognized safety testing laboratory.
There is a lot of junk out there – so to help make your decision easy we’ve reviewed the Top 5 Surge Protectors for Washing Machines & Refrigerators of 2020.
Whether you’re looking for an appliance surge protector for your refrigerator, washing machine, dryer, or dishwasher – we’ve got you covered. Buy with the confidence that you’re getting one of the best appliance surge protectors on the market. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
- Top 5 Best Surge Protector for Washing Machines & Refrigerators
- Buying Guide
Top 5 Best Surge Protector for Washing Machines & Refrigerators
|Tripp Lite Isobar Surge Protector Power Strip, Lifetime Limited Warranty||CHECK PRICE|
|Tripp Lite IBAR2-6D Isobar 2 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft Cord,...||CHECK PRICE|
|Belkin 6-Outlet USB Surge Protector, Wall Mount - Ideal for Mobile Devices,...||CHECK PRICE|
|Leviton 5280-W 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Decora Plus Duplex Surge Suppressor...||CHECK PRICE|
|Tripp Lite 2 Outlet Portable Surge Protector Power Strip, Direct Plug in,...||CHECK PRICE|
- Protect any electronic device from power surges & spikes: surge protector with two outlets protects your pc, personal computer, laptop, printer, scanner, router, phone, fax, modem, television, lamp or any other home/office electronics from dangerous power surges, spikes & line noise
- Premium surge protection with metal housing: this surge suppressor provides two nema 5 to 15R outlets and plugs directly into standard nema 5 to 15R outlet with no power cord
- Safety first high joule rating conforms to UL 1449 safety standards : an integrated 15A circuit breaker protects all outlets and shuts down connected equipment in the event of an overload; diagnostic leds confirm power, protection and line fault status at a glanced; 1410 joules mean maximum protection for your equipment conforms to current UL 1449 3rd edition safety standards
The Isobar Surge Suppressor from Tripp Lite is among the very best surge suppressors you will find on the market. This product is great for both home and office environments. It can be declared as the best surge protector for refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, and other appliances such as dishwashers.
This surge protector is equipped with a plug-in retaining bracket that comes with wall mounting, and you can directly connect it to the AC wall socket. The device offers top quality surge protection which the company as quality tested to 1410 Joules or 48,000 amps.
The Tripp Lite Isobar Surge Suppressor has a full metal case and is equipped with particular filter banks to halt any interference in the equipment. The compact and portable nature of this product is also handy – making it easy to fit into any electricians tools list. Moreover, the product is covered by a lifetime warranty as well as $10,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance for all the connected equipment.
- Huge surge protection of up to 48,000 amps or 1410 Joules.
- Certified to meet strict UL standards
- It comes with a direct plug-in as well as a bracket that assists in easy wall mounting.
- EMI/RFI noise filtering protects against outside interference
- It also comes with LED lights for power and safety status diagnostics.
- It also has an indestructible metal casing for increased safety and security.
- Excellent surge protector for washer machines, dryers, and refrigerators.
- The wall mounting bracket might be an issue if you have an outdoor cover box.
- The size of the overall device is too big, and it might not fit in tight spots.
The Isobar Surge Suppressor from Tripp Lite is one of the best appliance surge protector currently available on the market – particularly for refrigerators, washing machines, and dryers. You can use it both at home as well as at your office, and it will keep your electrical equipment well protected from the power surges. This surge protector is well suited for refrigerators, washing machines, and dryers.
- Protect any electronic device from power surges & spikes: Surge protector with two outlets protects your pc, personal computer, laptop, printer, scanner, router, phone, fax, modem, television, lamp or any other home/office electronics from dangerous power surges, spikes & line noise
- Premium surge protection with metal housing: This surge suppressor provides eight widely spaced nema 5 15r outlets which are arranged in 4 exclusive isolated filter banks to limit noise interaction among connected equipment; The extra-long 12 foot ac power cord acts like an extension cord to give you the flexibility to reach distant outlets, while its right angle nema 5 15p flat plug allows furniture and equipment to be moved flush against the wall to save space
- Safety first high joule rating conforms to UL 1449 safety standards: An Integrated 12 Ampere circuit breaker protects all outlets and shuts down connected equipment in the event of an overload; 1410 joules mean maximum protection for your equipment; Conforms to current UL 1449 3rd edition safety standards
Like the previous item on this list, this power strip from Tripp Lite is also safe for both office and home as it will keep all the appliances and digital equipment well-protected. This piece also comes in full metal casing and is also equipped with separate filter banks which enable prevention against any interference in the equipment.
The surge suppressor is rated to protect 48,000 amps or 1410 Joules of energy spikes. It can also house large transformer plugs as well and does not block other outlets, which is very convenient. You can also use the keyhole mounting tabs for extra space and attach some applications with ease.
The product has a limited lifetime warranty, and you will also get $25,000-lifetime insurance for all the connected equipment. Very similar to the other one from Tripp Lite, this suppressor also provides ultimate convenience at a very decent price as well.
- You can use it in your office as well as your home.
- The surge suppressor offers protection of up to 48,000 amps.
- It is effortless to install, and you can connect a variety of appliances to it.
- With the product, you will also get $25,000-lifetime insurance for the attached devices only.
- A great surge protector for dishwashers and refrigerators
- Huge 1410 joules protection mean maximum protection for your equipment
- Complies to current UL 1449 3rd edition safety Standards
- Like the other suppressor from Tripp Lite, this one also does not fit in the outdoor cover box.
- Slightly pricier than some alternatives (although well worth the cost with the added insurance)
Again the product is one of the very best surge suppressors that you will consider buying. It is a top-quality product that comes at a very reasonable price for what you’re getting. Plus, you can connect more devices with it as per your requirement by adjusting the switches. A great surge suppressor for kitchen appliances like refrigerators and dishwashers.
- 6 outlet surge protector with space saving wall mount
- Two USB ports (2.1A combined) for charging smartphones, tablets, and more
- Safeguards personal electronics and small appliances from potentially damaging power surges
This wall-mount surge protector from Belkin is available at a fairly low price without compromising on its job when it comes to keeping your equipment and appliances safe from the electrical spikes. You can also use it as a surge protector for a dryer or washing machine. The suppressor has 900 Joules energy rating that offers outstanding surge protection for all the devices either at your home or office. With this tool, you can add extra outlets as well, and that is without any additional wiring or cords.
The suppressor has 900 Joules energy rating that offers outstanding surge protection for all the devices either at your home or office. With this tool, you can add extra outlets as well, and that is without any additional wiring or cords.
Moreover, there is a not-grounded indicator as well which tells you when the suppressor is not grounded properly. The surge suppressor from Belkin comes with $75,000 connected equipment warranty along with the company’s limited lifetime warranty.
- Huge 6 outlet surge protector with space-saving wall mount
- The device is also equipped with the protection status indicator that enables you that your suppressor is fully functional.
- The protection indicator and the not-grounded indicator notifies whether the device is working properly or not.
- It comes with $75,000 connected equipment warranty from Belkin.
- While 900 Joule energy rating / 36,000 A maximum spike amperage is nice for small appliances, it may not be enough for high-energy refrigerators or washing machines
- It does not cover the opening.
- The 6-32 screws come with the purchase are very short and do not reach the threads within the wall outlet.
When it comes to surge suppressors, Belkin is the name that you can blindly trust. The product is very straightforward to install, and it offers enough protection to keep your appliances safe from any power surges. Great value for the money, and a great surge protector for small appliances such as mobile phones and other personal electronics. NOT the best pick for a high-energy refrigerator or washing machine.
- Ideal for point-of-use surge protection in industrial, commercial and residential applications
- Normal and common mode surge protection (line to neutral, neutral to ground, and line to ground)
- LED monitor/indicator light shows protection status at a glance
Another one of the very best products that you can buy, the Decora Plus Duplex Surge Suppressor by Leviton is a powerhouse device. The company has designed this product to improve RFI and EMI filtering processes. It has a side and back wired design that comes with a durable metal mounting strap. The suppressor also has monitors for LEDs so that you can keep an eye on the working status of the machine plus it is also equipped with an audible alarm.
The design is certified under ISO 9001:2000 quality standards. Moreover, the product comes with a ten-year limited warranty. It protects up to 550 Joules of voltage spikes. The device is elementary to install, and you can treat it like just any regular outlet. It is made from industrial grade plastic, so you are perfectly safe to use it. The plug-in switches are pretty stiff, and your plugs won’t loosen up at all. Overall the quality of this product made it very easy to review. If you’re looking for something gets the job done and blends nicely into your existing GPO (General Power Outlet) – this is the surge protector for you.
- The surge protector offers good RFI/EMI filtering.
- The LEDs enable you to monitor the current status of the device at all times.
- It meets all the ISO 9001:2000 quality standards.
- The product comes with a 10-year limited warranty as well.
- There is no way to reset the device if an issue occurs.
- After one surge the receptacle works like a regular one and your equipment is not protected from the electricity spikes.
Leviton is a reputable company, and has made a serious effort to keep this surge suppressor straightforward and functional, just like their excellent programmable timer switch for led lights and whole-house surge protector (you can check out whole house surge protector reviews here).
This Leviton serves as a good surge protector for a dishwasher or other expensive appliances. That said, this product is outshone by the Tripp Lite Isobar – so only consider this product if you’re looking at something a bit cheaper than the Isobar.
- ECONOMICAL ON-THE-GO SURGE PROTECTION: With two NEMA 5-15R AC outlets and built-in dataline protection, this surge suppressor can protect your laptops, electronic notepads, personal organizers and other portable electronic devices from dangerous power surges, spikes & line noise.
- COMPACT, 2-OUTLET SURGE PROTECTION WITH ETHERNET/MODEM PROTECTION: Powerful surge suppression to two dual-sided 5-15R outlets, plus dataline surge protection to a set of built-in RJ45/RJ11 combo jacks to prevent surges from damaging your network or dial up modem/fax/phone equipment (6 ft. phone cord included).
- SAFETY FIRST! 1050 JOULE-RATING - CONFORMS TO UL 1449 SAFETY STANDARDS: Diagnostic LED displays protection status at a glance. 1050 joules mean maximum protection for your equipment. Conforms to current UL 1449 3rd Edition safety standards.
Another one from Tripp Lite, the portable surge suppressor is a clear example that the company makes high-quality products that are built to perform. This product is also priced very reasonably but offers exceptional functionality. The travel size surge suppressor comes with a retractable plug and has one line for telephone or modem as well to shield the telecommunication equipment like fax machines and telephones from surges.
This travel size device suppressor has a power surge rating of 1050 Joules and is also equipped with RFI/EMI noise filtering in the line. It allows the connected equipment to perform at an optimal level and it also increases their life span as well. The company has designed this surge outlet to fit the transformer plugs as well. Plus it comes with LED indicators that provide alerts whether the device is in protection mode or not grounded.
- With your purchase, you will also get lifetime warranty along with the $50,000 insurance for the connected equipment as well.
- The travel suppressor has a rating of 1050 Joules to protect surges.
- It comes with the LED indicators to provide updates on its current protection status.
- The device is incredibly cheap if compared with the price.
- The travel surge suppressor becomes very warm even without activating its timer.
- The unit itself is a bit larger than it should have been.
The feature that makes it one of the best surge suppressors is its size. The travel-sized device is straightforward to install, and it does not cost much as well. The direct plug-in is extremely convenient to protect your expensive equipment.
What is the difference between a surge protector and a power strip?
The surge protector devices come with room to connect two appliances only. On the other hand, you can connect more than two appliances with a surge power strip. It is common misconceptions that power strips and surge suppressors are the same thing, although both provide overvoltage protection.
A surge protector power strip may be better suited to the kitchen where you’ll have a refrigerator, dishwasher, and other kitchen appliances that may require surge suppression. Here, it makes sense to have more than two connections.
A surge protector power strip may be better suited to the laundry where you’ll probably have a maximum of two appliances (a washing machine and dryer). That said if you’re only connecting say a refrigerator or dishwasher in your kitchen, it makes more sense to get a good 2-outlet surge protector instead.
How much surge current capacity should I consider?
It depends upon the amount of protection you need to provide to your electronic equipment. However, please bear in mind that the optimal surge capacity is not an accurate science and no one can scientifically estimate it with the help of a standard algorithm.
What are Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3 surge suppressors?
Type 1 surge suppressors are the first line of defense against the surges from the grids, and for this, the power company has to be involved in the installation process of the device. Type 2 surge suppressors are fitted on the branch panels or the breaker panels. It is also known as the panel protector. Type 3 surge suppressors are the surge strips or the backups for the batteries. This device comes in handy at the point of use.
Why don’t surge suppressors last longer?
These devices are designed to take the hit from the energy burst and during the process protect the appliances and equipment in the home. If the surge protector is working fine, it means that there has been no energy spike of any kind. Otherwise, it would have taken the hit. It all depends on the time that has passed between the two waves, nothing else.
Other more durable electronic devices (like some of the best outdoor timers or USB wall outlets) will last longer simply because they are not exposed to these high-energy surges that a surge suppressor experiences. But this is only *because* of the surge protector – without it, these devices wouldn’t last nearly as long.
What is meant by clamping voltage of a surge suppressor?
The clamping voltage symbolizes better protection against the surge. However, it also limits the life expectancy of the device and the overall safety system as well. According to the UL rating, the lowest levels of protection are 330V, 400V, and 500V while the standard allowed voltage for 120V capacity suppressors is 330V.
After the analysis, the Isobar Surge Suppressor from Tripp Lite stood out. It is not only a top-quality product but is also very convenient. You can use it in your office as well as your home and protect your appliances and equipment. Furthermore, it is renowned as a washing machine surge protector, because most people use it with their washing machines. The device comes with a lifetime insurance and warranty as well which makes the best surge suppressor in this list. Overall an excellent Surge Protector for washing machines, refrigerators, and dishwashers alike.