A good electricians multimeter is an absolute pleasure to work with (not to mention a huge time saver).
Automatic AC/DC voltage selection, precise readings, a nice long battery life, a high safety rating, and a durable casing.
On the other hand, a poor-quality electricians multimeter is a complete waste of time – constantly giving inaccurate readings and running out of battery.
To help you separate the good from the bad – we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Electricians Multimeters of 2023.
Buy with the confidence that you’re buying one of the best electricians’ multimeters on the market. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
Top 6 Best Multimeters For Electricians
|Fluke 117 Digital Multimeter, Non-Contact AC Voltage Detection, Measures...||CHECK PRICE|
|Fluke 87V Industrial Digital Multimeter, For Advanced Troubleshooting,...||CHECK PRICE|
|Klein Tools MM400 Multimeter, Digital Auto Ranging, AC/DC Voltage, Current,...||CHECK PRICE|
|Amprobe AM-570 Industrial Digital Multimeter with True-RMS||CHECK PRICE|
|Extech EX330 Autoranging Mini Multimeter with NCV and Type K Temperature,...||CHECK PRICE|
|CRAFTSMAN 3482141 8 Function Digital Multimeter||CHECK PRICE|
1. Fluke 117 Electricians True RMS Multimeter
- VoltAlert technology for non-contact voltage detection
- AutoVolt automatic AC/DC voltage selection. DC millivolts - Range : 600.0 mV, Resolution : 0.1 mV
- Low input impedance: helps prevent false readings due to ghost voltage
The Fluke 117 True RMS Multimeter is a masterpiece.
Anyone who has used this multimeter previously will know exactly what I’m discussing – it works beautifully! Fluke’s tagline for this multimeter is literally “The Ideal Multimeter for Electricians“. Fluke’s 117 multimeter remains true to its slogan.
The Fluke 117 multimeter screams excellence. Its True RMS precision. The LED backlight. The clear display. The AutoVolt function (which autodetects AC/DC voltage for you). Its CAT III safety rating. Its intuitive and user-friendly interface.
Fluke has outdone themselves on this one. There was definitely a lot of talk between engineers and electricians at Fluke to produce this outstanding multimeter.
And unlike numerous competitors, Fluke is supporting the quality of their multimeters. The Fluke 117 multimeter features a charitable 3-year warranty. The only downside to this multimeter is that it’s a little more expensive than a few of the options.
If you’re looking for the top budget multimeter under $50 – get yourself a Klein Tools MM400. But if you’re willing to spend a bit more, then the Fluke 117 Multimeter is well worth it. This is the ideal multimeter for electricians and electronic technicians.
Do yourself a favor and get yourself a Fluke 117 Electricians Multimeter – you will not regret it.
- Undoubtedly the best multimeter for electricians, and an essential part of any electricians tools list
- True RMS AC voltage and current for precise readings for nonlinear measurements
- Low input impedance for accurate voltage readings
- CAT III 600 V safety rating
- Accurate resistance, continuity, capacitance, frequency and diode tests
- Automatic AC/DC voltage selection with AutoVolt function
- Massive 3-year warranty
- Works as a non-contact voltage tester
- Slightly more pricey when comparing Klein vs Fluke
If you’re looking for a quick answer to “what is the best multimeter for electricians” – the answer is the Fluke 117 Electricians Multimeter. An outstanding True RMS multimeter at a great price (very inexpensive for what you’re getting).
2. Fluke 87V True RMS Electricians Multimeter
- Accurate frequency measurements on adjustable speed drives (ASD) due to Fluke-designed low-pass filter
- Captures intermittents as fast as 250 µS with Peak Capture
- Switchable high display resolution allows 6000 to 20,000 counts – lets you see small changes in displayed readings.CAT III 1000V, CAT IV 600V safety rated
This multimeter is terrific for professional electrical contractors who often have to handle HVAC units. As you may know, systems labeled as ideal for measuring HVAC applications have a lower and higher resolution and variety in contrast to the traditional (standard) multimeters. The Fluke 87V can measure voltage, frequency, capacitance, existing, and even temperature.
The Fluke 87V is the safest multimeter we’ve reviewed. It’s been individually evaluated to abide by the second edition of ANSI/ISA S82.01 and EN61010-1. It has a Category IV security score up to 600V, and a Category III safety score up to 1000V.
Although the Fluke 87-V is perceived as an ‘industrial’ multimeter, it is likewise perfectly adept at managing lab-based electronic devices tasks or automobile repair work. It measures down to the micro-amps and nano-Farad capacitance varieties, with resolutions of 0.1 µA and 0.01 nF, respectively. It can likewise accurately determine conductance (down to 60nS).
Overall if you’re an HVAC technician or an electrician happy to pay a bit extra for quality, this is the electricians’ multimeter for you. You will not be disappointed in this multimeter’s quality.
- Best premium electricians multimeter on the market
- Designed and built in the USA
- Delivers 0.05% DC accuracy
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Supports accurate measurements on VFDs using a low-pass filter
- Provides 10,000 µF capacitance range for components and motor caps
- Captures intermittents as fast as 250 µS with Peak Capture
- Designed to withstand spikes of more than 8000 V
- Auto and manual ranging for maximum flexibility
- Presents a large digit display with bright, two-level backlight for easier reading in low light
- More expensive than the Fluke 117 and Klein models – although well worth the money for HVACs or electricians happy to spend a bit extra
Although slightly more expensive, you will not find a better electricians multimeter than the Fluke 87-V. Highly recommended for those who are happy to spend a bit extra for premium quality.
3. Klein Tools Electricians Digital Multimeter
- Multimeter measures up to 600V AC/DC voltage, 10A AC/DC current and 40 MOhms resistance
- Electrical tester measures temperature, capacitance, frequency, duty-cycle, and test diodes and continuity
- CAT III 600V safety rating
Klien tool is a perfect digital clamp meter that measures all the current, frequency, test diodes, the alternating current and direct current voltage and capacitance through its test leads while the thermocouple is there to measure the temperature. The product is highly rated and is full of positive reviews. It is an essential tool for the professionals, or it can be easily used in your homes or garden.
The other best feature of the product is that it comes with the low impedance mode that can identify and eliminate the stray voltages or ghost rays. The product is a complete package of novelty, innovation and other time-saving features. It was designed by the engineers after doing the years of field research and finally produced this masterpiece. Though it’s a cheap multimeter accompanied with all the features that make it a perfect multimeter.
- Ideal for beginners and electronics hobbyists
- Best budget option under $50
- Accurate resistance, frequency, continuity, capacitance, and diode tests
- Built to withstand a 3.3-foot (1 m) drop and withstand daily wear and tear on the job site
- Includes test leads, thermocouple with adapter, batteries and user manual
- CAT III 600V Safety Rating
- Auto AC/DC voltage settings
- Much cheaper when comparing Klein vs. Fluke
- Does not give True RMS voltage
The Klein Tools MM400 Electricians Multimeter is ideal for beginners and electronics hobbyists, and is the best budget multimeter for those looking for a multimeter under $50. When comparing Klein vs. Fluke, this should come down to whether you’re an electrician (in that case go for the Fluke 117 or Fluke 87V) or an electronics hobbyist (go for Klein’s MM400).
4. Amprobe Electricians Digital Multimeter
- AC/DC Voltage up to 1000V, ac/dc current
- Resistance, frequency, capacitance
- Temperature, duty cycle
The Amprobe AM-570 is designed for professional electricians and HVAC professionals who require to keep, service, or fix advanced electrical systems in the most demanding environments.
Packed full of functions such as True RMS, dual thermocouples for taking differential temperature measurements, a low impedance function to spot roaming voltage, and a low pass filter to accurately take measurements on variable frequency drives, the Amprobe AM-570 Digital Multimeter allows for quick go/no-go checks without the need for an extra tool.
Multimeters are crucial electrical test meters that measure numerous properties of an electrical circuit, such as voltage, resistance, capacitance, and continuity.
This particular multimeter has been developed for use in industrial environments to test voltages up to 1000V and 10A. This meter is ranked Category IV/600V, Category III/1000V.
Safety rankings are based on the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) requirements for low-voltage test devices. In general, a meter with a category IV rating will offer more defense against transient voltages than a meter with a lower classification rating.
The AM-570 can be utilized to detect electrical issues in electrical devices, electrical wiring, and power supplies. With the consisted of temperature level thermocouples and test leads, this multimeter can be linked to a circuit or gadget to measure its electrical or efficiency residential or commercial properties to verify functionality.
The Amprobe Electricians multimeter fills a gap between the quality of the Fluke 117 and the price of the Klein MM400. A viable Fluke alternative, although it’s not the best electricians multimeter on the market.
- The AM-570 can be used to diagnose electrical problems in electrical equipment, wiring, and power supplies.
- Includes non-contact voltage detector and flashlight
- Heavy-duty – good for industrial settings
- Includes test leads, type K probe, and temperature adapter
- This meter is rated Category IV/600V, Category III/1000V
- True RMS meter
- Designed for use in industrial environments to test voltages up to 1000V and 10A
- Viable fluke alternative
- More expensive than Klein, but not as good as Fluke
- Not as robust as Fluke’s 117
The Amprobe Electricians multimeter is a viable Fluke alternative. The AM-570 Industrial Multimeter fills a gap between the quality of the Fluke 117 and the price of the Klein MM400. Although it’s not the best electricians multimeter on the market, it’s still a solid purchase for those looking for something cheaper than a Fluke, but higher quality than the Klein MM400.
5. Extech Mini Electricians Multimeter
- Built in non-contact AC voltage detector (NCV)
- Transmitter and Receiver snap together for easy storage
- Cat III 600V UL listed
Perfect for electrical troubleshooting, the EX300 series of Digital Multimeters from Extech Instruments consists of 2 meters in one easy-read, conveniently-sized device: a completely included digital multimeter and a non-contact voltage (NCV) detector.
The EX330 measures DC/AC voltage to 600 volts with a 0.5 percent fundamental precision, along with DC/AC current to 10 amps. This feature-rich digital multimeter procedures resistance performs diode screening and connection testing, has an easy-read LED display, an audible beeper and red LED sign and low battery indication.
The Extech electricians’ multimeter has 12 functions – consisting of AC/DC and voltage, frequency, capacitance, resistance, temperature level, and pulse ratio.
It has a built-in thermometer with a Type K probe that can change between Fahrenheit and Celsius readings. It also has a pretty large and legible display screen, which is very easy to read. Many people have a problem with little display screens since the majority of the data is illegible, particularly in darker environments.
It’s extremely easy to use this Extech multimeter, even if you’re not an expert. It’s compact, simple to read, and most significantly – flexible. Thanks to its flexibility and the number of additional functions, you can repair and fix anything you want, even delicate electronic devices such as video cameras and computers.
- Includes test leads, two AAA batteries, and tilt stands
- Good budget multimeter under $100
- Compact pocket multimeter
- Cat III 600 volt UL listed
- Autoranging functionality
- Includes Type K temperature probe
- Rubber holster protects meter
- Low battery indicator
- Has a built-in non-contact voltage tester
- Does not give True RMS voltage
- Poor display LCD
6. Craftsman Mini Electricians Multimeter
- Use the Craftsman 8 function digital multimeter with 2 ranges for safe DIY home maintenance just like the pros
- Automatic shut off saves on to battery life so your tool will be ready to use when you need it
- Features tilt stand as well as rubber holster
This multimeter is very cheap and is something to consider if you’re a beginner or electronics hobbyist. However, because of the somewhat basic functions, electrical professionals won’t benefit much from it.
That said, this multimeter is terrific for DIY’ers and individuals who occasionally perform electricity-related analyses and tests.
One of the drawbacks of this meter is that it has manual varying and not automobile ranging. When the starter learns how to make use of manual varying, it becomes straightforward. The meter can measure up to 600V AC and DC, and has a multitude of essential functions for electricity-related tests. If you are trying to find the best inexpensive Craftsman multimeter, then this is the meter for you.
The main features of this multimeter are its low cost and ease of use. Only consider this multimeter if you’re a beginner or electronics hobbyist – this is not for electrical professionals such as electricians and HVAC technicians.
- The protective rubber holster
- Great budget multimeter under $50
- An audible tone sounds below 30 ohms to check proper wiring and shorts
- Measures up to 600 volts alternating current and 10A alternating current for electrical installation home appliance repairs
- Measures up to 600 volts direct current and 10A direct current for auto marine and electronic installations or repairs
- No auto-ranging feature
- No backlight
- No auto shut off function
- No True RMS meter
Craftsman Mini Electricians Multimeter is a good budget multimeter under $50. Although it is generally outclassed by the Klein MM400. Only go with the Craftsman over Klein if you’re on a *really* strict budget.
Are you looking for the best multimeter, then you must be at least aware of some of its standard features that can be useful in finding the perfect partner for your work.
How handheld multimeter differs from the bench mounted multimeters?
A handheld multimeter is convenient to use and takes less space. It identifies the underlying faults in all your electronic equipment and is available at low prices. The bench-mounted units are designed for professionals that demand more accuracy in their measurements. The bench multimeter always gives more precise value than the typical handheld multimeter.
What are the key functions of multimeter?
A best electrical multimeter allows you to do three kinds of tests in an electric circuit.
Measurement of potential difference:
it helps in doing the most common and convenient test in electric circuits; it gives the value of potential difference or volts between two points or difference into points when the circuit is kept closed.
Measurement of resistance:
Being an ohmmeter, it measures the resistance in any element of the circuit. To pursue the measuring process that part should be separated to go through the testing process.
Measurement of current:
Being an ammeter, it measures the current as well nut in a closed circuit. To perform the process the multimeter itself has to incorporate with the circuit so that the current can pass through it.
Which are the two broad categories of a multimeter?
A multimeter is divided into two major types analog multimeter and digital multimeter; these two are further classified in various forms to provide the buyer with a great diversity in its product range.
The best digital multimeter is an advanced form of the old multimeter that offers more sturdiness, accuracy, and extra features. It displays the measurements in number to avoid paradox errors. The digital multimeter is somehow an embedded computer.
Analog multimeters are conventional, affordable and cheap but they do not provide the same accuracy as digital multimeters do. The Analog multimeter is more useful when you are more concerned with the trend of measurement and least interested in accuracy.
Which are the essential parts of a multimeter?
- Dial: it indicates the different values.
- Needle: present on the dial and indicate the true value on the dial.
- Selector knob: it allows you to select different options related to scale or its functions. Each option will have further settings.
- It will have a battery and fuse department that can be located anywhere either on the front side or back area.
- The multimeter consists of two leads; black and red, and one jack. It is for opening and to insert the required leads for testing purposes.
What are the ways to use multimeter safely?
To ensure your safety, you need to identify which class your digital meter falls. It has the main four categories the 1st category suggests that use the equipment that does not have any contact with the main. A 2nd class can be used in single-phase mains and final sub-circuits as well. The 3rd category can be utilized on the fixed installed loads while the last type is used as a multimeter primarily in those locations where the false current rate is very high.
Multimeters are the devices that are being used everywhere in our homes, offices, buildings, gardens, or in the even department to check the accuracy of the electronic instruments. The best multimeter for a person could be one that makes all of its jobs done and even would exceed its satisfaction level.
So far we did the top six multimeter reviews in the article. We have provided the reader with complete coverage regarding all the essential aspects of the multimeter, its features, parts, types, and safety.
The Fluke 117 Electricians Multimeter is the top choice for the best electricians meter. It is affordable, offers True RMS, CAT III 600 V safety rating, and provides accurate resistance, continuity, capacitance, frequency and diode tests. Highly recommended.