The number of outdoor appliances you have can quickly stack up. These may include pool pumps, security lighting, engine block heaters, and much more.
The more you have – the easier it is to forget you left one on. The wasted power can easily add up over time and lead to a nice big energy bill. No thanks.
Luckily an outdoor light timers exist – an excellent outdoor timer allows you to automatically set the on & off time of lights in advance and has a battery backup to ensure it’s always functional. This is both a time and money saver.
To save you even more time – we’ve reviewed the Top 5 Outdoor Timers of 2020. Let’s dive right into the reviews.
- Top 5 Best Outdoor Timer
- 1. Woods 50015WD Outdoor Plug-In Timer with Battery Backup
- 2. Intermatic P1121 Outdoor Timer
- 3. BN-LINK Heavy Duty Outdoor Digital Timer with Battery Backup
- 4. Intermatic HB880R Outdoor Digital Timer with Battery Backup
- 5. GE Heavy Duty Mechanical Timer
- Buying Guide
Top 5 Best Outdoor Timer
|Woods 50015WD Outdoor 7-Day Heavy Duty Digital Plug-in Timer, 2 Grounded...||CHECK PRICE|
|Intermatic P1121 Heavy Duty Outdoor Timer 15 Amp/1 HP for Pumps, Aerators,...||CHECK PRICE|
|BN-LINK 7 Day Heavy Duty Digital Programmable Timer, FD60 U6, 115V, 60Hz,...||CHECK PRICE|
|Intermatic HB880R 15-Amp Outdoor Digital Timer for Control of Lights,...||CHECK PRICE|
|GE 24-Hour Heavy-Duty Outdoor Mechanical Timer, Programmable Daily Cycle,...||CHECK PRICE|
- USER-FRIENDLY DIGITAL OUTLET TIMER: with 3 timing features (digital timer, random setting and countdown timer) on this 7-day programmable plug-in digital timer switch with 3-prong outlets, you can personalize your settings the way you like it for outdoor appliances; each day can also be programmed differently than the next, or weekends differently than weekdays, giving you more flexibility
- ENERGY-SAVING PRECISION PROGRAMMING: the 7-day digital outlet timer lets you do up-to-the-minute programming, which means you can be enjoying more energy savings
- HEAVY-DUTY DIGITAL TIMER: this digital countdown timer outlet is specially designed to complement heavy-duty appliances such as outdoor fountains, heaters or pool pumps
This Woods 50015WD Outdoor Timer is a Plug-In Timer that comes with versatile features. The most distinguishing feature is its user-friendly digital outlet timer. It gives its users three different timing abilities that include digital, random setting, and countdown timer. It comes with three prongs outlets, and you can even do settings on a daily and weekly basis. Even you can set your weekends differently from weekdays.
It also comes with the ability to adjust the settings to the accuracy of an even single minute. This feature gives huge energy-saving opportunities. This 7-day programmable timer comes with an amazing feature of withstanding heavy appliances. It is manufactured particularly to complement heavy-duty appliances like pool pumps, fountains, and others.
Another worth mentioning feature is its smart self-charging backup. This feature maintains your setting even power failure happens, as it offers self-charging back up to the timer. It also possesses weatherproof features that are an important part of the outdoor timer. With its sturdy body, it keeps the timer protected from any type of weather condition.
The price range of this timer is average. It can be categorized among the list of the average-priced timer in our list of best outdoor timers.
- Very easy to install and setup
- The self-charging battery backup of the timer digital outlet can retain your settings should a power outage happens, so you don’t have to worry about resetting
- Specially designed to complement heavy-duty appliances such as outdoor fountains, heaters, or pool pumps
- Because of its weather-resistant features, you can use it easily in any condition.
- Hardy body and heavy-duty timer cover to protect it from the weather, dust, and dirt
- You can’t control its two outlets independently.
- You can only put a single plugin on its bottom.
The Woods 50015WD has a huge variety of settings, waterproof features, a battery backup, and its suitability for heavy-duty appliances. This definitely takes the crown for the best outdoor digital timer and is an excellent purchase for those who want an outdoor timer that is durable and easy to set up.
- Designed specifically for outdoor applications, dynamic weather conditions and ease of use
- Controls pool pumps, water fountains, yard/patio/landscape/holiday/LED/CFL lighting, signs, fans, engine block heaters, heavy duty appliances and more
- To use, insert a green pin for the start time and a red pin for the end time
Intermatic Company manufactures this P1121 Outdoor Timer. It is one of the oldest brands and global leaders in offering solutions related to energy management. This P1121 timer is made by Intermatic and offers a solution for a variety of average as well as heavy-duty appliances. It supports different electrical devices like pool pumps, fountains, signs, fans, engine block heater, LED or CFL lighting, and many others.
This outdoor timer is made perfectly suitable for external environments through its hard casing. It comes with the ability to withstand any type of weather varying from -40 degrees Fahrenheit to 104 degrees Fahrenheit. This timer comes with the feature of offering 2 on/off settings per day.
You can adjust the settings by putting a green pin on the starting time, and red on the ending time. This timer also comes with a long power cord of 13 inches along with a grounded plug to ensure safety. It has an amperage capacity of 15 amps and wattage capacity of 1800 watts. It requires the power of 120 volts AC and comes with CSA approval.
Besides having all these features, the price range of this outdoor timer is average. It can be listed among mid-priced products in our list of best outdoor timers.
- Built into an outdoor rated enclosure with clear or black flip cover
- 2 On/2 Off settings per day with removable trippers, more On/Off events with the addition of extra trippers.
- Has a manual override ON/OFF switch, a waterproof cover, and a 12-Inch grounded cord.
- With its capacity of 15 AMP, it’s perfect for heavy appliance operation.
- Plugs directly into the wall outlet
- You can’t attach this timer with wires of less than 110V.
- No backup battery
The Intermatic P1121 Heavy Duty Outdoor Timer is easy to use a programmable outdoor timer. Although it lacks a backup battery, this outdoor timer is great for controlling pool pumps, engine block heaters, and other heavy-duty appliances. Although a slightly pricier option, Intermatic has done a great job in making a high-quality outdoor timer. Buy this if you’re looking for a premium outdoor timer and don’t need a backup battery.
- ✓ VERSATILE & CUSTOMIZABLE: Easily set up to 8 on/off programs for the timer’s two grounded outlets. Outlets are controlled simultaneously, and settings can be as short as one minute.
- ✓ JUST SET & GO: Choose your own individual days or simply select one of the convenient pre-set combination days. Switch to Daylight Savings mode with a press of a button. Our long-lasting backup battery keeps your settings even in the event of a power outage.
- ✓ PROTECT YOUR HOME: Activate the “Random” Vacation mode to randomize your programmed lights. Make your home look “lived in” even when you’re away.
The BN-LINK Heavy Duty Digital Outdoor Timer comes with many amazing features. The top of them is its multiple programmable settings. This timer offers up to 8 on/off programming ability per day. Furthermore, these settings are independent of each other and can be set in minutes, hours, days, and even weeks. Its settings can also be made randomly. In this way, the user can get higher convenience through this outdoor light timer.
It also comes with a built-in battery backup feature that won’t let the time to lose your settings even on power failure. This outdoor timer also contains dual outlets and an LCD display. In this way, two devices can be controlled at the same time. It also comes with multiple functioning. It can operate your lights, sprinklers, heat, hydroponics, and other devices with various settings under this timer power plug.
As far as the price range of this timer is concerned, it is quite low. It can be listed among the lowest priced timers in our list of best outdoor timers.
- Because of its built-in battery backup, it would not lose your settings even if the power supply backs off.
- Daylight Saving Time and Random Security Mode
- Set up to 8 different On and Off programs for your timer.
- Dual outlets that can operate two devices simultaneously.
- Excellent low price
- Though it comes with a dual outlet, you can’t control the one independently from the other outlet.
The BN-LINK outdoor digital timer is a close contender for our top outdoor digital timer with battery backup. The product is a low cost, has a long-lasting battery backup, and is easy to set up and install. The only thing that stopped this from being the #1 product was that it doesn’t have as much horsepower as some of the other outdoor timers on this list.
If you’re looking for an outdoor timer mainly for low-power devices such as security or celebrations lighting, then the BN-LINK outdoor timer is the product for you.
- Full feature plug-in timer provides 7-day programming in a weatherproof enclosure, with a total of 14 ON/OFF events
- Astronomic setting enables timer to automatically adjust event schedules in relation to the changing sunrise/sunset times for maximum efficiency
- Plugs directly into wall outlet with 24” cable and provides 2 timed and grounded and plug configurations is 5-15
This HB880R Outdoor Digital Timer is again a product of Intermatic from our collected few outdoor timers’ list. The most distinguishing feature of this digital timer is its ability to set its programming for the whole week. It offers 14 different event adjustments for the time period of seven days. It also comes with Astronomic settings. This feature let timer to turn devices on or off depending on the sunrise or sunset timings.
This outdoor timer also comes with an ability to get plugged directly into the wall through its power cord of 24 inches. Its grounded receptacles ensure maximum safety and protection from any mishap. It can be used to adjust the timings of LED and CFL lights along with irrigation pumps, aerators, engine block heaters, and other devices.
As far as the price range of this product is concerned, it is slightly higher as compared to other items. But its all distinguished features deserve this much payment.
- It is one of the best timers for outdoor lights because of its Astronomic feature.
- It might prove as a highly safe and secure outdoor timer because of its ability to switch on/off lights on a slight time variation.
- With its ability to 7-day full programming options, it can offer great ease-of-use to its users.
- With its battery backup and 14 events settings per week.
- Slightly more expensive than other options
- It might be hard to program this outdoor timer for an inexperienced
Purchasing this outdoor timer can give you astronomic features, whole week 14 events settings, safety, and a grounded power cord. Though the price range is slightly high, if you can afford it then it will serve you well.
- Turn outdoor lights ON/OFF at your desired times daily – saving you time, money and energy!
- Ideal for your security lights, landscape, patio and seasonal lighting. LED, CFL, Incandescent and Halogen compatible.
- Set the timer in 30-minute intervals and set 24-hour programmable daily cycle.
This GE Heavy Duty Mechanical Timer comes with an ability to let you turn your light on or off at whatever time want on a daily basis. This outdoor timer can work well for security, patio, landscape, and other seasonal lightings.
This mechanical timer also possesses the feature of a 24-Hour programmable setting. You can set its timings to functions at the event on the required time throughout the day. The minimum interval that can be set on this timer is 30 minutes.
As it comes with dual outlets, you can easily operate two lights or other devices on it simultaneously.
The outer body of this timer is also made highly durable to withstand all types of rough and tough weather conditions. The price range of this mechanical timer is quite nominal. It can be listed among low-priced timers on our list.
- It can serve you as the best outside light timer because of its programming of the 24-hour
- It can allow you to handle two devices with its dual outlets.
- Its sturdy construction might make it able to perform perfectly both at outdoor and indoor locations.
- It comes with simple and easy settings.
- It doesn’t come with a manual on/off options.
Purchasing this timer can give you durability, 24-hour programmable feature, and dual outlet. You can get all these features in a quite low price range too.
What points do you look for while purchasing any product? It is a very important thing to know before going to actually purchase any item. Therefore, here you will get to know about the basic features and attributes that you should consider while purchasing an outdoor timer.
First up – make sure it’s an outdoor timer you’re looking for. If it’s for indoors, check out our guide on the best indoor light switch timers. If it’s for outdoors in a residential area (i.e. your home) – then you’re in the right place!
As your timer is going to serve you for the majority of your outdoor appliances, it is very important for your timer to have weather-resistant features. The reason behind this is the fact that it is going to be mounted on any outdoor location. Weather depicts a variety of weathers, and sometimes they are completely unpredictable. Therefore, these attributes will let your timer to withstand any type of external weather.
The weather resistance should not be only related to being resistant to rain and snow only. Rather, it should work perfectly even during extremely hot weather.
Number of programs
It is another important attribute that decides the worth of your timer. The number of programs you adjust to different appliances varies with one another. Also, how you want your appliances to function also varies greatly. Therefore, it is crucial to check for the number of programs.
Few timers may come with single program settings. But there are also those timers available in the market that offers multiple programs. This attribute makes setting easy for you. That’s why try to prefer the second type of timers.
Number of outlets
This feature refers to how many devices your timer is going to control. You will see plenty of timers to have a single outlet, and they can control a single device at one time.
However, there are a few types of timers that contain dual-outlets as well. This feature helps you in connecting two different devices with the timer while making their time adjustments simultaneously.
Backup battery or memory
If you live in such an area where unpredictable power failure incidents are quite common, then this feature would help you a lot. Two different features can contribute to resolving this issue.
The first one is to possess a backup battery. This battery comes with the timer. On facing power failure, this backup battery takes the seat and continues supplying energy in order to retain your settings.
On the other hand memory feature can also help in this regard. Though it won’t stop the timer from getting closed, it can help you by restoring your settings in its memory. You can’t get long-lasting memory in these timers usually, but volatile memory can also serve this purpose quite well.
Besides looking for these basic features, it is also important to look for other features like amperage capacity, wattage capacity, power cord length, input method, body construction, and other minor details. All these features collectively can assist you in increasing the lifespan of your timer and appliances as well while saving your energy usage.
The power cord should be long enough to access the nearest switch outlet. Also, it should have proper shielding as it could be exposed to rain or storms. The turning on/off the option of the timer should be easy to operate. The outer body of the timer should be made up of sturdy material to ensure the safety of your timer. Furthermore, the receptacles of your timer should be grounded properly.
Outdoor timers can not only save your extra energy but also gives you relaxation from worrying about your devices turning on or off timings. It is very important to purchase those timers that are manufactured according to your requirements as there are huge varieties of these timers.
In this article, we have discussed the few best outdoor timers along with their reviews. Basic buying guideline of the outdoor timer is also provided. As far as the best product on the list is concerned, it is quite difficult to select anyone.
However, according to us, the best product on our list is Woods 50015WD Outdoor Plug-In Timer. The reasons behind are its huge versatility in its settings, along with durability, great horsepower, and battery backup as its additional attributes.