There is nothing more frustrating than spending a lot of money on a hammer drill just to have it break on you.
A quality cordless hammer drill should have a long battery life, be durable, and give wood, concrete and other surfaces a good beatdown.
There are many high-quality brands like Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porter and Bosch. Some other low-priced products are also available, but they offer inferior quality compared to these higher-end brands.
But the question remains – which of these is the best? To save you a few roundtrips to Amazon – we’ve put together the Top 4 Cordless Hammer Drills for Electricians of 2020.
We have also developed an electricians cordless hammer drill comparison table to make things even simpler for you. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
- Top 4 Best Electricians Cordless Hammer Drills
- Buying Guide
Top 4 Best Electricians Cordless Hammer Drills
|DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill, Brushless, 3-Speed, Tool Only (DCD996B)||CHECK PRICE|
|Milwaukee M18 Compact 1/2" Hammer Drill/Driver Kit (2607-22CT)||CHECK PRICE|
|PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Hammer Drill, Tool Only (PCC620LB)||CHECK PRICE|
|Bosch HDS182-02 18-volt Brushless 1/2-Inch Compact Tough Hammer...||CHECK PRICE|
- High performance transmission for fast application speeds and improved run time
- High efficiency brushless motor delivers up to 57 percent more run time over brushed
- 0 38,250 BPM for fast drilling in masonry materials
The Brushless Premium 3-Speed Cordless Hammer Drill from Dewalt is a bit expensive product, especially when you compare it with the previous product on this list. However, it also features some great advantages. The product is equipped with 3-speed all-metal transmission that provides a quick runtime for different jobs.
It can produce 0RPM to 2000RPM as well as 0BPM to 34000BPM for fast drilling in hard surfaces like brick or masonry. The drill houses XR lithium-ion batteries that enable it with 33% more capacity over the standard versions. It also comes with heavy duty ½-inch ratcheting chucks for drilling through metal. These chucks have carbide inserts for the maximum gripping strength of the bits.
It has a compact size with dimensions of 17.1-inch x 11.5-inch x 4.5-inch. The tool is powered by a 20V XR lithium ion battery. The drill is ideal for some jobs involving hard surfaces and materials. It can produce 550 lbs of torque as well.
- It comes with a 3-speed variation that delivers superior performance in applications involving hard surfaces.
- It can produce 550 lbs of torque with 0RPM to 2000RPM and 0BPM to 34000BPM high-capacity performance.
- It has heavy duty ratcheting chucks for drilling in metals.
- The product comes with 3-year warranty.
- You might find it expensive as compared to other products in the same category.
- In high speed its spindle braking causes the chuck to loosen up.
It is a top quality product from a top quality brand. It is powered by heavy duty batteries and is designed for tough jobs. The product has a high price, but it also offers a lot of versatility as well.
- High performance hammer drill delivers 27,200 BPMs
- 2-Speed gear box (0-400/0-1600 RPMs)
- 1/2" metal racheting chuck / 23 clutch settings
Another evenly priced product in our recommendations, the Max Hammer Drill Kit from Porter-Cable that is capable of producing 0BPM to 27200BPM along with 0RPM to 1600RPM. It comes with a 2-speed variation for that enables you to drill or hammer through different kind of materials with ease.
The ratcheting chuck can drill through metals as well. The best part about this tool which makes it one of the best cordless hammer drills is that it comes with an LED light that brightens the work area if in case you are working in the dark and don’t have a light near you.
It drill operates with a couple of lithium-ion batteries and just takes 20V 2.3Ah of power. You purchase covered by 3-year warranty if there is any issue regarding manufacturing or materials used in the making of the product. Its dimensions are 10.8-inch x 6.2-inch x 9-inch.
- The hammer drill has the capacity of delivering 475 lbs of torque.
- It can produce drilling power of 0BPM to 27200BPM and 0BPM to 1600BPM with its dual speed gearbox.
- The ratcheting chuck can drill through metal with ease.
- It also incorporates an LED light that brightens the work area.
- The product comes with a 3-year warranty for exchange or returns.
- The materials used in the making of this hammer drill feel cheap.
- Drilling through hard surfaces frequently will wear out the product sooner than expected.
Overall, it is a good product that comes at a very competitive price. The drill can deliver high performance, and it doesn’t over consume the batteries as well.
- Brushless Motor: Up to 2x the motor life, superior efficiency for longer runtime and no maintenance
- Advanced Electronics: Electronic motor and cell protection help prevent overheating and overloading for extended tool life and runtime
- Most Compact Head Length: Most compact head length in its class for easy control in tight spaces
The products from Bosch don’t need much introduction because they are famous for their quality. This 18V Brushless Compact Hammer Drill works the same way as well. It is one of the best cordless hammer drills because of its brushless motor that offers more than twice the efficiency of a conventional motor. It doesn’t need any maintenance as well.
The hammer drill doesn’t overheat due to the cell protection which also contributes to improved runtime and tool life. It has a very compact head length, and you can work with it even in tight spaces. It can easily withstand multiple drops of up to 10 feet. The drill also comes with a magnetic bit tip holder for your convenience.
It can generate a maximum torque of up to 442 lbs. The product dimensions are 13.1-inch x 11-inch x 3.4-inch, and it weighs three and three-quarter pounds. It drill tool is charged by 18V 2.0Ah lithium-cobalt batteries.
- The drilling tool comes with an easy storage/carry case.
- It also houses a brushless motor for improved efficiency and better run time.
- The tool is extremely durable and can survive multiple drops of up to 10 feet.
- It also houses a magnetic bit holder.
- The hammer drill can generate a torque of 442 lbs.
- The 18V batteries run out of juice pretty quickly.
- The drill vibrates a lot.
It has all the features that drag it into our list of best cordless hammer drills. It won’t cost you a lot and is very handy for completing various types of jobs.
- Milwaukee 4-pole frameless motor: features a robust design combined with rare-earth magnets for longer life, best-in-class 500 in. lbs. of torque and 0-450/0-1,800 RPM
- Single sleeve ratcheting chuck: all-metal 1/2 in. chuck optimizes grip strength and reduces slippage
- Built-in LED light: illuminates surfaces for faster, more efficient work
Milwaukee is certainly one of the high-end brands when it comes to hardware. Their products are synonymous with high quality, and the M18 Compact Hammer Drill is no exception. It can produce 525 lbs of torque with 0RPM to 1800RPM and 0BPM to 28000BPM.
The cordless drill houses a 4-pole frameless motor with a single sleeve chuck for ratcheting through ½-inch metal sheets as well. This chuck is optimized for superior gripping and does not allow much slipping. It also incorporates an LED light that can illuminate the surface if you are working in the dark.
It is equipped with REDLINK Intelligence that improves its durability. The dimensions of this hammer drill are 13.8-inch x 3.7-inch x 11.4-inch, and it is powered by a couple of lithium-ion batteries of 18V 2.0Ah capacity. The hammer drill has a very competitive price as well which makes it one of the best cordless hammer drills that you will find online.
- It houses a 4-pole frameless motor.
- It is capable of producing up to 525 lbs of torque with 0RPM to 1800 RPM and 0BPM to 28000BPM.
- It also boasts a built-in LED light which allows you to work in case of power outage.
- The drill features REDLINK Intelligence in its manufacturing which makes it extremely durable.
- It consumes the batteries very quickly.
- The drill vibrates after frequent use.
Milwaukee is one of the best hardware brands that make top-rated cordless hammer drills. This hammer drill also has all the essentials features with a competitive price. The hammer drill is durable and highly versatile.
What is a hammer drill and why is it used?
It is a drill that is equipped with a masonry bit and is used for drilling through hard surfaces such as concrete, stone, mortar, and brick. Hammer drill operates like any standard drill and rotates. Also, it also has a forward hammering action which allows it to drill through hard surfaces.
What do I need to look for when buying one of these drills?
You need to check for the torque and speed first. It is the most important feature of the hammer drill because it must drill through hard surfaces like ones we have just mentioned. To drill through concrete rotary drills are the best however if you want to use a hammer drill then impacts per minute is the feature you need focus. These numbers are represented in BPM and RPM, and they usually stand somewhere in tens of thousands, if you want a good quality drill.
Do chucks have any importance when it comes to buying a hammer drill?
Chucks have plenty of relevance in the operation of any drill. Good quality drills come with a range of chucks. The best chucks are made of metal and also have hard jaws of steel. Some of these chucks also come with ridges within the jaws for better gripping of the surface. These ridges don’t allow the drill to slip from the point of impact during drilling.
What’s the difference between a brushed and a brushless motor?
A brushed motor has a rotor brush, commutator, and axle along with permanent magnets. The current passes through the brushes that are connected with the commutator and after that it passes through the rotor which creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field generates fast rotations. On the other hand, brushless motors don’t have any brushes. It means that there is no point of contact and the rotor is positioned on the magnets that are fixed to a surrounding shell which is known as a stator. No point-of-contact means frictionless rotation speeds.
Should I prefer cordless drills over corded ones?
If you use your hammer drills on a regular basis and frequently as well, then it is better to have a corded drill. For instance, professional workers should opt for corded drills because there are no batteries in these drills that will run out in a time of need. On the other hand, if you need your hammer drill occasional at home then go for cordless version. It provides you with a lot of freedom to use it anywhere you like.
If you are feeling a bit indecisive about which top-rated cordless hammer drills to purchase, then we are going to help you in making the right buying decision. The main reason for you being indecisive is that there is a range of different hammer drills available. Each one of them boasts various features that are suitable for certain jobs.
It is tough to decide, but as per our assessment Makita’s Cordless Hammer Drill turns out to be the winner. It’s not only packed with features, but it also comes at a very reasonable price. It is equipped with the ability to tackle even the hardest jobs, and all its features make it the best cordless hammer drill that is just right for you.