When the tightness of your screws and bolts is critical, it’s time to reach for a torque wrench.
The best electricians torque wrench provides a high level of accuracy, has a nice loud ‘click’ that you can hear and feel, and has a reversible ratchet head that drives in both directions.
On the other hand, a lousy electricians’ torque wrench is a great way to break your bolts – with terrible accuracy and a ‘click’ sound that’s way too soft to hear. You’ll constantly be second-guessing whether or not you’ve reached your required torque level.
To help you separate the good from the bad – we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Electricians Torque Wrench of 2023.
Buy with the confidence that you’re buying one of the best torque wrenches for electrical work on the market. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
Top 5 Best Electricians Torque Wrench
|TEKTON 1/2 Inch Drive Micrometer Torque Wrench (25-250 ft.-lb.) | 24340||CHECK PRICE|
|CDI 2503MFRPH Comfort Grip Dual Scale Micrometer Adjustable Click Style...||CHECK PRICE|
|Craftsman 9-31425 20-150 ft lbs 1/2" Drive MicroTork Torque Wrench||CHECK PRICE|
|Set of 3 Pittsburgh Pro Reversible Click Type Torque Wrench Sizes 1/4",...||CHECK PRICE|
|GEARWRENCH 1/2" Drive Micrometer Torque Wrench 30-250 ft/lbs. - 85066||CHECK PRICE|
1. Tekton Electricians Torque Wrench
- Includes 1-pc. 1/2 in. drive torque wrench; Storage case; Product manual with torque conversion chart
- Wrench emits a click that can be heard and felt when the preset value is reached
- Permanently marked, high-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
This click torque wrench by Tekton is the best cheap torque wrench. It is made of high-quality durable steel. This torque wrench leaves no place for any kind of doubt because of the high accuracy it provides. This wrench lets the user work with confidence due to its easy to use technology and reversible ratchet. With the reversible technology added to this wrench, the user can move the fasteners anti-clockwise and clockwise which gives better precision during work.
The product comes pre-calibrated. You don’t have to calibrate before using it. The range of torque it comes with is 25 to 25 ft. lbs. for better calibration, it is advised to store it at the minimum torque. The dual range calibrated scale added to this wrench can even be read in the dark. The ideal length of 26 inches makes it perfect for use. This wrench is sized for large-sized equipment like cars and tractors.
- Durable all-steel construction has no plastic parts to break or wear out
- Has a reliable mechanical operation inside the handle produces a click you can hear and feel, alerting you to stop applying force
- Ships pre-calibrated to +/- 4% accuracy and ready to use
- Reversible ratchet head drives in both directions and measures torque in the clockwise direction
- High-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
- Best electricians torque wrench (inexpensive & durable – fantastic torque wrench for electrical work)
- It sometimes gets stuck while changing torque value, although this is very rare.
The Tekton Torque Wrench is the best inexpensive torque wrench in the market. It has all the features of a high-end torque wrench and its quality is also comparable to very expensive torque wrenches. Highly recommended.
2. Industrial Brand Electricians Torque Wrench
- Specifications: The CDI 1/2-Inch Drive Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrench features dual scales with an English Range of 30-250 ft. lbs. and a Newton Meter Range of 47 - 332 Nm with an accuracy of ± 4% CW ± 6% CCW of indicated value, CW, from 20% to 100% of full scale. All CDI Torque Wrenches are individually serialized with a matching certificate of calibration traceable to N.I.S.T
- Size: The overall length of the torque wrench is 24.40 inches. The width across the torque head is 1.70 inches and the depth of the head is 1.40 inches. The bottom of the handle to the top of the lock ring is 1.40 inches.
- Features: Quick release button that provides good socket retention as well as easy socket removal. Easy-to-read laser marked scales which makes the wrench fast, accurate and easy to set. Positive lock with spring loaded pull down lock ring. Ergonomic grip for durabiltiy and comfort.
This industrial level torque wrench by CDI is quite expensive but is totally worth the money. It comes in four different drives and seven different torque ranges. The dual direction torque provides movement and torque application in both anti-clockwise and clockwise direction. Due to the dual direction, it comes with a dual scale on it; both the scales are calibrated as well.
The ergonomic design of this wrench helps the electrician to work with accuracy and precision. The positive lock feature with a pull-down lock ring that is spring loaded is also added to the wrench to make the electrician’s work easy and comfortable. The wrench is very fast and very easy to set. Its laser marked scale is very visible and easy to read.
It has a torque range of 150 to 1000 inch pounds or 30 to 250 feet-pounds. It weighs only 2.1 pounds and is made of high-grade steel for durability and rust resistance.
- Rust resistant
- Excellent torque wrench for electrical work
- It is remarkably precise and accurate.
- Dual scale, calibrated dual direction
- Easy to read laser marked scale
- Ideal for home owners and DIY enthusiasts
- Positive lock with spring-loaded pull down lock ring
- Comes with a dual direction technology.
- Slightly pricier than alternatives
This high-quality wrench by CDI can be a good investment and good addition to an electrician’s toolbox since it provides high accuracy, comfort, and precision.
3. Craftsman Electricians Torque Wrench
- Accurate to +/- 4%
- Scales stamped into housing show inch/metric torque settings
- Twist ring with lock/unlock settings
Craftsman is a renowned company that makes all kinds of tools from lawnmowers to screwdrivers. This torque wrench by craftsman has a half-inch drive and can be rotated in all directions. The wrench is made of stainless steel in order to prevent degradation, rust, and breakages, the handle is made of rubber to give a comfortable grip. A rugged type of rubber finish is given to the handle.
At the bottom of the wrench, the calibrated scale is incorporated that gives accuracy up to plus-minus 4 percent. You can set a torque between the range 20 ft. lbs. and 150 ft. lbs. the clicking sound gives you a confirmation of reaching the desired torque level. It is 23 inches long and weighs 4 pounds which are ideal for a torque wrench.
The features that this torque wrench provides are not comparable to high-end torque wrenches but they are ideal for this price range.
- Best inexpensive torque wrench on the market (great value for the money)
- Scales stamped into housing show inch/metric torque settings
- It is made of durable stainless steel.
- Great torque wrench for electrical work
- High accuracy (+/- 4 percent)
- Twist ring with lock/unlock settings
- It struggles a bit with industrial level work.
This torque wrench for electricians is not suitable for industrial-grade work but works well for DIY projects and small repair work at homes and small workshops.
4. Pittsburgh Pro Electricians Torque Wrenches
- 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Wrench Set
This is the cheapest torque wrench set present in the market. A set of three torque wrenches with ¼ inch, 3/8 inch and ½ inch drive at this price cannot be found anywhere else in the market but at the same time, this wrench set is certainly not a professional grade wrench set. It can be efficiently used by beginner though.
Apart from being extremely cheap, it comes with a lifetime warranty. It also comes with three different torque ranges for three different drive values. The accuracy it gives is plus-minus 4 percent which is quite good. It also comes with a heavy-duty pawl and cam mechanism. The length and weight of all the three torque wrenches are ideal and is in between the level of compactness and comfort. An excellent torque wrench for electrical work.
- High accuracy – it comes with an accuracy of +/- 4 percent
- It has a reversible wrench mechanism.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Comes at a very reasonable price.
- Better for DIY work – not as durable as we’d like for professional work
This set of wrenches is ideal for electricians who are in the process of learning or have recently started their career but it is not fit for use at an industrial or professional level.
5. Tacklife 3/8″ Electricians Torque Wrench
No products found.
This reasonable and reliable torque wrench by tack life is calibrated according to the DIN ISO based on the international standards. You can confidently work with it as it gives an accuracy of plus-minus 4 percent and also lets you lock your torque on the required value easily. It is a click-type torque wrench and makes a click sound on reaching the desired value of torque.
The dual range scale make reading easy even in the dark due to the high contrast. Its all-steel construction makes it very durable. The handle is knurled so that the user has complete comfort and the wrench does not slip out. The sleeve is coated with black chrome and the wrench itself is coated with silver chrome. This makes it durable, anti-rust and anti-corrosion.
The reversible ratchet added to this product makes it easy to handle, as it allows tightening and loosening the screws in both directions. A fantastic torque wrench for electrical work.
- Its black and silver chrome coating makes it anti-rust and anti-corrosion.
- Easy to operate.
- Calibration is internationally certified.
- The ratchet tends to get stuck at times.
This product comes at a very reasonable price yet it is of very high quality and can be used for high grade industrial and workshop work. The reversible ratchet and accurate calibration give it an edge to other wrenches of the same price.
6. GearWrench Electricians Torque Wrench
- Thin profile, sealed, teardrop head design offers improved access and durability for highly effective application
- Torque accuracy of +/- 3% CW between 20% and 100% of wrench capability
- Pull adjustment collar feature allows you to make quick and easy torque setting changes
This torque wrench by GearWrench is one of the high-end torque wrenches on the market. It is made of high-grade steel that is treated with anti-corrosion and anti-rust abilities. The GearWrench torque wrench is the most accurate wrench with a plus-minus 3 percent accuracy. The drive is half an inch and can be set between a range of 30 ft. lbs. and 250 ft. lbs.
It is a click-type wrench so produces a click sound whenever you reach the desired torque limit. Due to the high-quality material used in it, it can be used for professional-level work. The complete wrench is in silver chrome color while its handle is made of knurled aluminum to make it anti-slip and provide better comfort. It meets all the ISO and ASME specifications.
- Rust and corrosion-proof.
- Meets all the safety standards.
- It has an anti-slip handle.
- Mid-point is marked for accuracy.
- It is a bit expensive.
This product is ideal for professional and industrial use due to the high-quality material used in it. Even though it is expensive it is worth the money.
While buying a torque wrench for electricians’ one thing that should be given utmost importance is the precision of the tool. This shows that not only the accuracy of the tool is important but also the comfort level it provides the user with. Some of the most important features you should look for in a torque wrench for an electrician are:
Basically, there are multiple torque wrench sizes available on the market. These are all used in industries but if we consider electricians work, then only four sizes are of sheer importance. These sizes primarily correspond to the range of the torque that is measured in ft. lbs. the sizes that work best for electricians are:
- ¼ inch which is for small sized nuts and bolts.
- 3/8 inch which works on the majority of nuts and bolts in automobiles and engines.
- ½ inch which is for comparatively larger sized nuts in bolts that are used in the suspension of cars and trucks.
- ¾ inch which has rare and special application for example in the center of the lug wheels.
There are three basic types of wrenches that are mostly used by electricians. These are:
- Click-type torque wrenches:
These wrenches are mostly used by electricians and mechanics who work with automobiles and engines. The main feature of this wrench is the clicking sound it makes when the ideal amount of torque is applied. The clicking sound is basically a confirmation.
- Electronic torque wrenches:
These are also known as digital torque wrenches; they have a similar function to the click-type wrench. Rather than making a click sound on the ideal amount of torque, it makes a beep sound. This audible notification is the confirmation of the correct amount of torque.
- Beam torque wrenches:
These wrenches are in the simplest form and are being used for a long time. Despite this, they are the most unreliable since you have to rely on your own senses. These wrenches are also heavy as compared to normal wrenches.
The accuracy of wrenches varies with its quality. A good quality wrench has better accuracy as compared to a bad quality wrench. Any wrench that has an accuracy better than +/- 5 percent is a good wrench.
The feature that is seen in all the high-end wrenches is the certificate of calibration with its date and accuracy to assure the user and to show when to recalibrate them. This is done within the assigned time frame so that the factory given accuracy is maintained.
A manufacturer’s warranty is very important while buying any kind of tool. If you invest in a good quality high-end wrench you will see that the minimum warranty of 1 year is given. Some companies even exceed this and go up to 5 or 10 years warranty.
The build material of a torque wrench says a lot about its quality. Vanadium steel is very common in torque wrenches as it makes them rust-resistant and durable. Most of the wrenches are made of different metals with a few parts made of plastic. Before investing in a torque wrench don’t forget to assess the kind of material used.
In this article, the best torque wrenches for electricians are discussed in detail. Keeping in view the price range and the features it is concluded that the TEKTON 24340 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench is the best wrench for electricians.
It has the ideal weight and length ratio and also comes with a dual-range scale with high contrast that is even visible in the dark. The reversible ratchet and materials used are of high-quality durable steel which makes it the best in the market.