Every DIYer needs a quality socket set, but sorting through all the different brands can be confusing.
The best socket sets are extremely durable, provide anti-corrosion protection, come in a bunch of different sizes, and provide a quick-release switch and reversible mechanism for smooth operation.
On the other hand, a low-quality socket set tries to sucker you in with a low price, only to break or round off three months later – both price and quality are important.
To help you separate the high quality from the junk metal – we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Quality Socket Sets of 2021.
Buy with the confidence that you’re buying one of the best rated socket sets available. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
- Top 6 Best Quality Socket Sets
- Buying Guide
Top 6 Best Quality Socket Sets
|Stanley 92-824 Black Chrome and Laser Etched 69-Piece Socket Set||CHECK PRICE|
|DEWALT Mechanics Tools Kit and Socket Set, 204-Piece, 1/4" & 3/8" & 1/2"...||CHECK PRICE|
|TEKTON 3/8-Inch Drive Socket Set, Inch/Metric, 6-Point, 5/16-Inch -...||CHECK PRICE|
|GEARWRENCH 44 Piece 3/8inch Drive 6 Point Impact Socket Set, Standard &...||CHECK PRICE|
|Craftsman 165 pc Mechanics Tool Set # 36165||CHECK PRICE|
|Crescent CSWS10 3/8-Inch Drive Socket Wrench Set, 52-Piece||CHECK PRICE|
- Black chrome finish for anti-corrosion protection and attractive appearance
It is one of the best socket sets that you will find on the market, not because it is one of the better-looking items but because of its versatility. The laser-etched black chrome 69-piece set won’t cost you a lot. It exceeds all the ANSI Standards for ratchets and sockets.
Stanley has enriched these tools with the Max-Drive design that provides you with 15% increaed torque in your wrenching jobs. You will require less of your effort to tighten the screw and bolts. The chrome of these tools enables them to resist corrosion as well. The socket set comes with a case in which you can store the tools conveniently and access them anytime with great ease. The most complete socket set case includes 69 pieces and will get your job done in no time.
- The socket set includes 69 pieces.
- It is equipped with the Max-Drive design that ensures 15% more torque.
- Excellent price – great value for the money
- Highly durable – the black chrome is resistant to corrosion.
- The product comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- There are no 1/2-inch drive sockets for torque wrenches.
- The 1/4 inch drive sockets don’t have any notch in them.
It is a highly useful socket set that houses 69 pieces that come with a limited lifetime warranty and are corrosion resistant as well. You can do various wrenching jobs perfectly with this very well priced socket set.
- Mechanics tool set comes in durable molded case for storage and tool protection
- Socket sets have 72 tooth count ratchet giving a 5 degree arc swing for maneuverability in constricted areas
- Hard stamped markings on sockets and wrenches for easier identification of the mechanics tools
Dewalt is a premium quality brand, and this mechanical toolset doesn’t tell any different story. The professional-grade toolset offers great functionality due to the different sized sockets available at disposal. The sizes range from 5/32 to 9/16 in shallow length and 4 mm to 20 mm in deep length. There are over 200 pieces from which you can select. This tool kit ensures that you get your wrenching done without spending much time.
The toolset also comes with a limited time warranty from Dewalt, and the company has made it from premium quality chrome. It also delivers exceptional performance through high torque. The set does end up on the expensive side, but it provides you with a massive range of socket sizes. All the pieces are tried and tested under ANSI Standards and are built to tackle any job.
- The toolset comes with laser-etched markings to identify the size comfortably.
- The best quality socket set on the market
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Deep laser etched markings for easy socket size identification
- The ratchet has a slim head design.
- The tools are equipped with a non-slip gripping surface.
- It is also equipped with a 72-tooth gear system for high torque.
- Slightly pricier than alternatives (although well worth the price)
It is an excellent product for the pros out there. The 204-piece masterpiece provides you with great functionality, and you can perform almost all jobs with this dynamo. Definitely takes the number one spot as the best quality socket set on the market – highly recommended if you’re looking for a socket set that will last you a lifetime.
- Chrome molybdenum alloy steel (Cr-Mo) for exceptional strength and durability
- Off-corner loading design reduces fastener rounding
- Black oxide finish to resist corrosion
The Drive Impact Socket Set from GearWrench is made from chrome molybdenum alloy steel that equips it with outstanding durability and exceptional strength. It also comes with Surface Drive technology that enables you to put in less effort during fastener rounding. All the pieces are thoroughly coated with phosphate to resist corrosion.
The pieces are etched with laser markings for you to distinguish and choose between different sizes conveniently. The tools come with a blow mold case as well for easy storage and access. The product only weighs around 11 pounds and is very easy to transport plus it meets all ASME Standards. It is one of the best socket set you can find because it offers an excellent balance between performance and budget.
- Excellent value for the money – the best price socket set on the market
- Meets or exceeds ASME B107.2 specifications for proven strength
- The toolset is made from chrome molybdenum alloy steel for long-lasting performance.
- Black phosphate corrosion resistant coating laser etched with high visibility markings and hard stamped with size labels
- Deep 6 point sockets with chamfered openings and an attachment port compatible with traditional ratchets
- The set includes 44 pieces that are all etched with laser markings for easy identification.
- The shallow length sizes available in this set range from 5/16 to 3/4 inch while the deep-length sizes range from 8 mm to 21 mm.
- The tool kit is equipped with Surface Drive Technology that limits fastener rounding too.
- The set does not have all the sizes (not as comprehensive as DeWalt’s model)
The Drive Impact Socket Set from GearWrench takes the top spot for the best price socket set. Although it doesn’t have all socket sizes available, it’s still a great choice for DIYers who don’t need the full range of socket. See here for sockets included in this model.
- Master set has every size from 5/16 to 3/4 inch and 8 to 19 mm in both shallow and deep lengths
- Includes universal joint and extra long 6-inch extension, tools not found in most other sets
- Finely geared 72-tooth ratchet needs only 5-degree working swing arc
The Drive Socket Set by TEKTON offers a whole lot of variety when it comes to the size of the sockets. The master set has all the sizes that range from 5/16 all the way to 3/4 inch in shallow length. It also has sockets from deep length ranging from 8 mm to 19 mm.
The tool kit also includes an extra-long 6-inch extension along with a universal joint. These are the tools that you don’t find in most of the best socket set on the market.
You can work with an only 5-degree working swing with the 72-tooth ratchet that is finely geared. The socket set offers high-quality torque, and TEKTON has made all the pieces with chrome vanadium steel.
- The socket set is equipped with 45 pieces.
- The socket sizes available in this set range from 5/16 to 3/4 inch in shallow length while in deep length the sizes range from 8 mm to 19 mm.
- The tool also offers superior performance through high torque.
- The storage case is well organized and extremely sturdy.
- The head of its ratchet is relatively large.
- The length of the short sockets is not appropriate, and they are pretty long.
This socket set offers a great variety when it comes to the size of the sockets. The chrome vanadium steel provides excellent strength and durability to the tools, and the set itself is not pricey either.
- Chrome plated, tough cast alloy steel construction Includes 79 6-point sockets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sizes; 61 screw and nut driver bits; 14 hex keys; 2 quick release ratchets; 2 extension Bars; 2 adapters; 4 wrenches and 1 magnetic handle Quick release mechanism in ratchets for quick socket switches Rust-resistant and dent-resistant box for ensured longevity Craftsman Lifetime Warranty
The Mechanical Tool Set from Craftsman is another professional grade product that contains 165 pieces. This set includes a total of 92 sockets in three different sizes, i.e. 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch. It also houses a ratchet in all three drive sizes along with a couple of universal points and extension bars as well. These two additional tools set this kit apart from the rest of them and make it one of the best socket kits that you can buy at an excellent price.
You can also find a dozen of combination wrenches as well that come in both metric and inch size units as well. The kit also includes hex keys, screwdriver bits, driver handle, and nut driver bits as well. The product weighs close to 20 pounds, but with the carrying case, it is effortless to store and transport with convenience.
- The tool kit has 165 pieces which are great to handle any job that you might come up with at your home, in the garage or at any work site as well.
- It is a top quality tool kit that is packed with long lasting performance and durability.
- You purchase covered under a limited lifetime warranty from Craftsman.
- It is not an expensive product as compared to others with a similar number of pieces offered.
- Its packaging is a letdown, and the carrying case does not keep the tools fixed-in.
- The ratchets tend to reverse if a boat winch is attached.
Craftsman is a quality brand, and they have come up with one of the best socket set as well. This 165-piece tool kit can handle any job at your home or any work site as well.
- Nickel Chrome plated for long lasting protection
- Chrome Vanadium Steel
- Mirror polish finish
This nickel chrome plated socket set by Crescent incorporates 52 pieces that offer unmatched durability. The pieces have mirror polish finishing, and the sockets are equipped with Surface Drive technology. This technology enables you to eliminate any fastener rounding during your jobs. The 72-tooth ratchet that comes in the set just requires a 5-degree swing and offers high torque.
The socket set meets and exceeds all ANSI and ASME Specifications. The company is so confident of its products that it backs them with a lifetime warranty. In the set, the company has selected a careful assortment of handy tools so that you can perform all the jobs efficiently at your home or work. The socket set only weighs around 10 pounds and the carrying case keeps all the tools.
- The socket set comes with 52 pieces.
- The pieces are finished with nickel chrome for lasting performance.
- The sockets are enriched with Surface Drive Technology.
- The ratchet only requires 5-degree swing which means that it provides high torque.
- The tools are not etched with laser markings.
- The carrying case does not have a handle.
The 52-Piece tool kit from Crescent is one of the best socket set because it also provides you with a perfect balance between budget and performance. This level of quality and size range is not readily available in this price range.
How should I choose the best impact socket set?
First, you must understand that impact socket sets are different from conventional socket sets. The standard sets are not designed to withstand high-level torque from the latest high-speed drills. The impacts sockets are made of flexible yet dense materials, and they can withstand the torque.
What is a complete socket set?
A complete set must include socket sizes of both deep and shallow lengths for 6, 8 and 12 points along with their adapters, universals, extensions as well as their hex keys.
Can I use non-impact sockets on an impact gun?
No, you cannot use non-impact sockets on an impact gun under any circumstances. The reason is that the gun will shatter the chrome that is hardened during the making of the sockets.
Should I prefer an expensive socket set over a cheaper one?
You must decide on the requirements that you want your socket set to meet. Defining the requirements will enable you to determine how much investment you are willing to make. If you are seeking a professional level toolkit, then it will offer you a great variety and will also cost a lot. However, there are tool kits available that are not very expensive, yet they have plenty to offer.
What quality standards overlook these socket sets?
As per our assessment, Stanley’s Laser Etched 69-Piece Socket Set is the clear winner from the list above. If wrenching for you means that you deal with different jobs regularly enough, then you must invest in a set that suits a professional level. The 69-piece socket set is capable sufficient to handle all those jobs in the garage, at home or work with ease and comfort.