I get it – wearing a hard hat can isn’t the most fun thing about being an electrician or working in construction.
But I can assure you of two things (1) That not all hard hats are uncomfortable and unstylish and (2) You’ll like your hard hat a lot more if (god forbid) you ever have something fall on your head.
The best electricians hard hats have a lightweight yet durable design, are comfortable, and comply with all the relevant safety standards.
On the other hand, a lousy electricians hard hat is an uncomfortable burden that sits on top of your head all day. And if it doesn’t comply with the relevant safety standards – why are you even wearing it?
To help you separate the good from the bad – we’ve reviewed the Top 4 Electrician Hard Hats of 2022.
Buy with the confidence that you’re buying one of the best electricians hard hats on the market. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
- Top 4 Electricians Hard Hats
- Buyer’s Guide for Selecting an Electricians Hard Hat
Top 4 Electricians Hard Hats
|MSA 475395 Skullgard Cap Style Safety Hard Hat with Fas-Trac III Ratchet...||CHECK PRICE|
|MSA 475407 Skullgard Full-Brim Hard Hat with Fas-Trac III Ratchet...||CHECK PRICE|
|TRUECREST Hydro Dipped Black Full Brim Hard Hat with Fas-trac Suspension||CHECK PRICE|
|MSA Tan Skullgard Hard Hat with Staz-On Suspension and Full Brim 454664,...||CHECK PRICE|
1. MSA Skullgard Electricians Hard Hat
- Standard Cap style for light weight comfort
- Equipped with Fast-trac Ratchet type suspension for easy fast size adjustment
- Superior quality comfort and protection and work with all Skullgard helmet accessories
Skullgard’s MSA 475395 hard hat is an absolute pleasure to work with. The particular carbon fiber hard hat is the ideal option for electricians – it’s lightweight, comfortable, and complies with all the relevant safety ratings. It features ANSI/CSI type 1 compliant for safeguarding against vertical impacts.
Similar to this, it is ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2014 (Class G) compliant, meaning that it provides dielectric protection up to 2,200 volts. Another attribute that makes the brand famous is the different sizes of a hat, from 6 and a half to 8 inches available.
It is further equipped with a Fast-Trac III ratchet-style suspension – allowing for easy & quick size adjustment and all day comfort. The weight of this hard hat is approximately 1.12 pounds – which feels very lightweight on your head, and won’t feel like a burden on the job.
It is made of super-strong fiberglass and comes in 9 different colors. Overall this is an outstanding hard hat for electricians and is our top recommended choice for those looking for an excellent hard hat at a great price.
- Lightweight, weighing in at only 1.12 pounds
- Equipped with Fast-Trac III ratchet-style suspension for easy fast size adjustment and all-day comfort
- ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2014 (Class G) Compliant, provides dielectric protection up to 2,200 volts (excellent for electricians)
- ANSI/CSA Type I Compliant, Protects from vertical impacts and penetrations
- Available in three suspension options and two brim styles
- Skullgard helmets have been tested to radiant heat loads producing temperatures up to 350-degrees Fahrenheit.
- No chin strap (if you’re into that)
With dielectric protection up to 2,200 volts (ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2014 (Class G) Compliant), a lightweight build, and a great price – MSA 475395 Skullgard Protective Hard Hat. Note that it’s available in three suspension options and two brim styles.
2. MSA Skullgard Natural Tan Electricians Hard Hat
- HIGH QUALITY PROTECTION: Intended for general purpose use or in places elevated temperatures. These Skullgard helmets have been tested to radiant heat loads producing temperatures up to, but not exceeding 350°F. A smooth crown allows for the easiest use of all MSA welding equipment. Meet the voluntary standard for reverse donning, low temperature [LT], higher temperature [HT[, and Hi-Viz [HV].
- MULTI-PURPOSE CAP STRENGTH: Crafted with a phenolic shell and handmade for durability, toughness and quality, this helmet is usable in a variety of industries. Use Skullgard helmets in steel mills, welding, construction, open-pit mining, oil/gas/petrochemical refineries, rubber manufacturing, and steam tunnels.
- FAS-TRAC III SUSPENSION: Designed based on opinions and input from hundreds of customers, our top-end Fas-Trac III suspension functions as an improved ratchet suspension. Flush rear lug attachments eliminate pressure points and three levels of nape strap adjustment give for a fully customized fit. Ratchet comfort pad is contoured to the back of the head, improving airflow and preventing hair-pulling. Ensure continued wear with drastically improved comfort and a graspable ratchet.
If you’re looking for the top electricians hard hat on the market (irrespective of the cost), then look no further than the MSA 475407 Natural Tan Skullgard Hard Hat. Made in the USA and clocking in at only 0.65 pounds, this hardhat has been masterfully designed with comfort and durability in mind.
From a safety perspective, this hard hat provides dielectric protection up to 2,200 volts (ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2014 [Class G] Compliant) – which is exactly what you want in an electricians hard hat. It is also ANSI/CSA Type I compliant, meaning that it protects against vertical impacts and penetrations.
The MSA 475407 fits from 6 1⁄2″ to 8″ heads, and is available in three suspension options and two brim styles.
The main difference between this hat and the MSA 475395 is the weight of the hat, and where it’s made. This hat is around half as heavy as the MSA 475395, and is made in the USA. The downside is the slightly higher price tag.
So if you’re happy to pay a little extra for added comfort – go with the MSA 475407. Otherwise, the MSA 475395 is still a great choice. If you’re an electrician who loves lightweight helmets though – then the MSA 475407 is definitely the hard hat for you.
- Made in the USA
- Extremely lightweight – only 10.4 ounces (0.65 pounds)
- Provides dielectric protection up to 2,200 volts (ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2014 [Class G] Compliant) – great electricians hard hat
- ANSI/CSA Type I Compliant, Protects from vertical impacts and penetrations.
- Equipped with Fast-Trac III ratchet-style suspension for easy fast size adjustment and all-day comfort
- Standard size fits from 6 1⁄2″ to 8″
- Available in three suspension options and two brim styles.
- Slightly pricier than alternates (although well worth the cost)
The MSA 475407 Natural Tan Skullgard Hard Hat is a top-shelf product. It’s extremely lightweight at only 0.65 pounds, is super comfortable, and provides dielectric protection up to 2,200 volts (ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2014 (Class G) Compliant). And it’s made in the USA.
Although it’s slightly pricer than the MSA 475395, it’s well worth the money for those who will be wearing their hard hat a lot on the job, or those who just really want a super lightweight electrician’s hard hat. Highly recommended.
3. Truecrest Full Brim Electricians Hard Hat
- Cool Air Flow /Full brim hat style will keep rain off the back of the neck
- Equipped with Fast-trac ratchet-style suspension for easy fast size adjustment
- ANSI Z89.1 2014 / Attractive hydro Black color
The Truecrest Full Brim Electricians Hard Hat comes in as our top budget buy. This hat has been praised for having an extremely comfortable and breathable design, which is great if you’ll be out in the sun a lot.
Don’t let its low cost fool you into thinking this won’t keep your head safe – this hard hat meets or exceeds the applicable requirements for a Type 1 helmet (top impact), outlined in ANSI Z89.1 2014, Class C. Meaning that it’s still compliant with the relevant safety standards.
It clocks in at 1 pound – which definitely still a lightweight helmet. Blended with its breathable cool airflow design, this hard hat will sit comfortably on your head all day.
While not offering as much protection nor as lightweight as the MSA 475407, this is still a great buy for electricians on a budget. Recommended for those who won’t be wearing their hard hat very often, or are just looking for an inexpensive electricians hard hat.
- Excellent price – great value for the money
- Cool Air Flow design – extremely breathable and comfortable
- Meets or exceeds the applicable requirements for a Type 1 helmet (top impact) outlined in ANSI Z89.1 2014, Class C
- Heavy-duty construction
- Lightweight – only 1 pound
- No choice in color. It’s black or black.
- Made of plastic
If you’re an electrician on a budget, this is the hard hat for you. It doesn’t provide the electrical protection of the MSA 475407 or MSA 475395, but it still meets all the requirements for a Type 1 top impact helmet. The Truecrest Electricians hard hat is a great pick for electricians on a budget.
4. MSA Skullgard Full Brim Electricians Hard Hat
- Hardhats & Caps
- Manufacturer: Msa Safety Sales, Llc
- Made in: United States
Needless to say that Skullgard Company is not vigilant of the quality in each version of its carbon fiber hard cap. Hence, Skullgard is gaining more and more consumers each day because of its construction, pricing, and design. We present you another type of hard cap in our review of the best hard hat.
Again it has designed to proffer safeguard in the hot and harsh environment. The brand sets the standard temperature for use in industries, for instance, steel mill.
The material of the shell is phenolic to face the harsh conditions in any situation. To protect you from the vertical penetrations and impact it builds with the ANSI/CSI compliant. Concerning it, there is ANSI/ISEA compliant for minimizing the effect of dielectric, i.e. around 2200 volts.
Unlike the above two hard hats from Skullgard, it has equipped with the exclusive stat-on suspension system. It shows up in a standard size of 6 ½ to 8 inches. The price is a bit higher than the other two above mentioned models of the Skullgard hats.
- There are various colors available in the MSA 454664. It means you can select any color according to your requirements.
- The custom stripping and imprinting choice are, therefore, if you want to add further attraction to it, then you have an option.
- It has a smooth crown for comfortable use during the process of welding.
- For the provision of semi-custom fit and superiority, it has stay-on suspension.
- Within 2-3 months of use, the suspension starts to come off, which is the indication of cheap quality.
- There are better MSA electricians hard hats available – this is completely outclassed by the MSA 475407
Although this is an MSA Skullgard Hard Hat who are known for their quality hard hats, in this case, there are just better options available. Skip this and fo with the MSA 475407 or MSA 475395 electricians hard hat instead.
Buyer’s Guide for Selecting an Electricians Hard Hat
The first thing that comes in mind while buying the carbon fiber hard hat is the performance. The cap must perform well and provide full protection against head injuries. In this regard, various brands offer two types of hard hats.
Type 1 is for aerial safety which is the impact and penetration on the crown. However, this type does not provide you protection from the side. Furthermore, it means that it surrounds the whole rim.
Type 2 is capable of protecting both aerial and lateral sides and it has an inner foam layer. In this case, the rim is on the front only.
Therefore, among both of the types, type 2 is better as it provides a warm, generous and hard shield.
For the protection against impact, the type of suspension plays a vital role. The suspension of the hard hat makes an inner frame that spread the impact. All in all, there are three forms of hard hats available in the market. Hard hats usually have different types of suspensions. It includes four, six and eight-point suspension.
These points describe the connections between the cap and suspension. The carbon fiber Caps that contains more amount of points has more ability to spread the weight. Along with this, the dispersion across the suspension lowers the amount of the shock on impact. In short, all these types of suspensions give you the same level of penetration and protection to meet CSI and ANSI regulations.
There is no doubt that several companies use different materials in the manufacturing of caps. Therefore, it is important to choose the one of lightweight material. Most of you might select one- size fit hat material for the workers. However, the level of protection depends on the material the brand offers. Usually, you will see two kinds of material used by all of the brands. These include MSA skull guard and fiber metal. The purpose of such material is to cater to the needs of individuals who work in heavy industries.
CLASSES OF HARD HATS
As mentioned above a hard hat appears in two types, i.e. type 1 and type 2. On the other hand, ANSI differentiates in three classes with the electrical insulation rating.
Class E is for Electrical hard hats. The function of this class is to minimize the exposure of high voltage of up to 2200 volts. However, this protection might not be enough for the human body so one must wear PPE.
The class G includes general hard caps which constructs to lower exposure to low voltage conductors. However, it provides a shield against 2200 volts. Similar to class E, a person has to wear PPE.
The hard hats of the class conductive differ from the above mention classes. It is because it has not made for the protection of electrical conductors. The function of these hard hats saves the wearer from impacts.
It is again the vital feature that one should look for while purchasing the best carbon fiber hard hat. People working in industries have to wear the cap continuously to prevent themselves from heat. If you are experiencing the same situation, then you must be careful about the weight of the cap. Hence, we prefer the lightweight cap in that case. Moreover, in this article, all the product reviews are light in weight. So you can easily pick one from here.
The companies proffer several colors of the hard hats. It is to make sure that one can pick the color according to his choice. In addition to it, the variety of colors is helpful in distinguishing workers in industries. In this way, the first aiders and builders wear different colors. That, in turn, adds the benefit in emergencies. In short, there will be no confusion plus everyone there can have the idea whom to contact.
Every hard hat making brand should pass the standard established by ANSI. Due to the advancement in the field of science, several materials are available. However, it is to take care that the material is safe for humans. Thus, each brand must have to take the certification from ANSI for approval.
All in all, the best carbon fiber hard hat among the awesome hard hats is the one that performs well while you work in hazardous conditions. It means it protects your head from injuries, electric shock, and rain. We presented you with the reviews of top-rated caps, and among them, the winner is the MS 475407 Skullgard hard hat. The selection is based on the type of material used, suspension, and cost of the hat. Furthermore, it contains top of the line features and comes at a reasonable price.