Although many don’t think it’s true, books are an important – and useful – part of being an electrician.
A good electrician book for beginners can give apprentices a jump start entering the industry. And even the veterans (journeyman and master electricians) can benefit from reference textbooks or learning about updates to the National Electric Code.
The best electrician books for beginners are easy to understand, include fundamental equations and conversions, and are durable enough to carry around with you on-site.
On the other hand, a lousy electrician textbook is a confusing and misleading waste of money.
So to help you separate the good from the firewood – we’ve reviewed the Top 6 Electricians Books of 2020.
Buy knowing that you’re getting one of the best electrician books for beginners and journeyman available. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
- Top 6 Best Electricians Books for Beginners
- Buying Guide
- Why are electrician books important?
- What is the purpose of electrician books?
- Are electrical books helpful for the electricians?
- Why should you read electrician books?
- Does electrician books come with relevant electrical fundamentals?
- Why is it important to understand the electrical strategies for electricians from reading electrical books?
Top 6 Best Electricians Books for Beginners
|Ugly's Electrical References, 2020 Edition||CHECK PRICE|
|National Electrical Code 2020, Spiral Bound Version (National Fire...||CHECK PRICE|
|Mike Holt's Electrical Exam Preparation textbook, Based on the 2017 NEC||CHECK PRICE|
|DEWALT Electrical Licensing Exam Guide: Based on the NEC 2017 (DEWALT...||CHECK PRICE|
|2017 Journeyman Electrician Exam Questions and Study Guide||CHECK PRICE|
|Mike Holt's Illustrated Guide to Understanding the National Electrical...||CHECK PRICE|
1. Ugly’s Electrician Reference Book
- Miller, Charles R. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 214 Pages - 12/27/2019 (Publication Date) - Jones & Bartlett Learning (Publisher)
The updated 2020 edition is the best Ugly’s reference guide by far, and is a great update from the 2017 edition (which was previously the best Ugly’s reference guide).
Ugly’s Electrician Reference is a book that covers a wide variety of topics that are important for electricians to understand. It offers the clearest and informative information for electricians and engineers. The book has important features that are beneficial for the electricians to learn and use in their field.
The book has been updated to reflect the latest National Electrical Code (NEC) the new edition features full-color diagrams, tables, and illustrations, expanded coverage of alternative energies, and updated electrical safety information.
Ugly’s offers the most relevant information used by electricians right at their fingertips, including mathematical formulas, National Electrical Code tables, wiring configurations, conduit bending, ampacity, and conduit fill information, and life-saving first aid procedures.
After reading this book, you will be able to understand how the electrical wiring is structured and formed. No electrician can be an expert without having the proper knowledge about the electrical wiring.
Overall Ugly’s electrical reference guide is a critical study guide to have in any electricians arsenal – whether you’re a beginner apprentice or a Journeyman electrician, this is the best electricians book for you.
- A proper explanation of wiring configurations
- Updated safety information
- Colored tables and diagrams
- Including mathematical formulas and unit conversations
- Updated with the latest National Electrical Code tables
- Goes over ideal wiring configurations, conduit bending, ampacity, and conduit fill information
- Explains life-saving first aid procedures.
- We found some mild typos in this book.
Ugly’s Electrician’s Electrical Reference has all the knowledge and information you require to be a good electrician – whether you’re a beginner apprentice or an export journeyman. You will learn new techniques and skills to deal with the electrical problems in your career as an electrician or even as an engineer.
2. NFPA 70 National Electrical Code 2020 Book
- (NFPA) National Fire Protection Association (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 896 Pages - 10/01/2019 (Publication Date) - Delmar Cengage Learning (Publisher)
NFPA 70 National Electrical Code 2020 1st Edition is used throughout the United States. It is popular among electricians all around the world.
This electrician’s study book features all the electrical standards and procedures which are relevant for the electricians to perform their job.
It is a handbook with all the necessary and important electrical codes. Electricians need to learn these codes to make sure that they use the correct and accurate codes while connecting the electrical wires.
For electrical safety in residential and commercial jobs, make sure that you read the book in detail and grasp the proper knowledge about electrical coding.
You always need to update your knowledge about electronics and make have a good grip on the information required to perform your job efficiently.
This book helps you to acquire the required expertise to be the best electrician in town.
- Essential electricians textbook – this is THE reference guide (it’s essentially the electrical law)
- Formal NEC electrical codes are mentioned in the book
- Can be used to study for electrician exams
- Essential training book for apprentices and journeyman alike
- Relevant Tables and illustrations are included
- Tabs for chapter organization
- Slightly pricey
NFPA 70 National Electrical Code 2020 is a very handy and useful electricians textbook to learn about electrical NEC codes, which can get a bit complicated. This book explains the coding in detail with colored illustrations. Engineers and electricians can have a huge benefit from reading it, and to me, this is a non-negotiable textbook in an electricians’ arsenal.
3. Mike Holt’s Electrical Study Guide Textbook (Exam Study)
- English (Publication Language)
- Mike Holt Enterprises (Publisher)
Mike Holt’s Electrical Exam Preparation textbook helps you to clear your electrician exam with flying colors. If you read the book in detail you will find out that it has covered all the topics you need to know as an electrician. The book also provides you with questions that are important for you to prepare for your exam.
The book covers all the areas you need to grasp knowledge about including a step-by-step guide of how to set up a problem and solve it thoroughly. To make you aware of the important concept of electronics, the book covers different topics of electrical essentials.
If you have an upcoming exam you are worried about, this book is recommended for you to grasp the knowledge you need to know to clear your exam.
- Covers all the essential electrical topics (excellent electrical training book)
- Comes with a step-by-step guide to solve electrical problems mentioned in the book
- Includes a LOT of questions test your electrical understanding
- Best electricians study guide available for beginners and apprentice electricians
- Very well priced (given the number of electrical questions and answers)
- There are some important calculations missing in the book (but you can find similar electrical questions and answers online)
Mike Holt’s Electrical Exam Preparation textbook covers all the important electrical concepts that you need to clear your electrician’s exam. It’s a comprehensive study guide full of electrical calculations, giving you step-by-step instructions on how to set up electrical problems and work through them accurately.
4. Dewalt Electrical Licensing Guide Book
- English (Publication Language)
- DEWALT (Publisher)
This book is very beneficial for you which helps you get the electrical licensing no matter where you are. If you want to enhance your knowledge and pursue a career as a qualified electrician, the knowledge you will gain by consulting this book will stay with you for a long time.
For years and years, students all over the world, use this book to get the electrical license they need to work as an electrician. It is an amazing guide for you to learn the technical terms of electrical knowledge.
The book comes with a helpful and useful study guide, important test-taking tips which make it easy for you to attempt the test, and also contains realistic sample exams which help you learn the difficult technicalities of the electrical world.
- Explains important electrical fundamentals
- One of the best electrician study books on the market
- Comes with test-taking tips and tricks
- Great practice study book for beginners
- Helps you deal with the realistic electrical problems in exam format
- It covers more practice exam questions and less general knowledge (although this is fine if all you need is an electrical study guide for your exams)
Dewalt Electrical licensing guide is being used by students all over the world to get the electrical license they need to work as an official electrician. It is very informative and knowledgeable and explains the concepts related to electricity in great detail.
5. Journeyman Electrician Questions Study Guide Book
- English (Publication Language)
- Brown Technical Publications Inc (Publisher)
A journeyman electrician questions study guide helps you to clear your electrical test with a good grade. This book covers questions related to conductor sizing, voltage drop, and most of the important topics which are needed to know to clear the electricians licensing test.
The book contains the important formulas and calculations used by electricians worldwide. It is an amazing study guide for young electricians to gain knowledge and expertise in the electrical field.
As an electrician, it is important for you to know about the electrical fundamentals and tools you will require to use in the practical world. You should have the right knowledge about the voltage drop and phase down issues. This book helps you gain the knowledge you need to know to excel as an electrician.
- It is an ultimate study guide for journeyman electricians
- Coves a wide range of electrical topics – including exams on conductor sizing and protection, motors, transformers, voltage drop, over-current protection, and residential and commercial load calculations
- Includes a bunch of helpful formulas and calculations
- Includes 12 practice open book exams and 2 Final Closed Book Exams
- More question-orientated rather than knowledge orientated
- Not the best study guide for beginners
Journeyman electrician questions study guide is one of the best study guides for electricians about to take their Journeyman electrical exams. This book focuses on rote-learning questions and answers rather than understanding the core concepts. That said – this is undoubtedly helpful in passing your exam.
6. Mike Holt Understanding the National Electrical Code Book
For today’s engineers and electricians knowing about the National Electrical Codes is a major cause of concern. It is important for you as an experienced electrician to know about the electrical codes and formulas to meet the requirements of your job on the field.
It is important to understand and accurately grasp the electrical coding for all the electricians because electrical work is very risky and dangerous. You have to be sure about what you are doing, otherwise, you will be risking your own life.
The electrical codes are accurate and consistent. It is very crucial and important for you to have the right knowledge about them. Mike Holt’s understanding of the national electrical code emphasizes providing you the right understanding of electrical coding.
The book is very detail-oriented and the writing style of the author of the book is very interesting and engaging.
- Explains NEC code in a practical way
- Thorough understanding of electrical coding
- Colored illustrations with diagrams
- Good revision guide for journeyman electricians
- The book has a bit too much information to grasp for beginners
Mike Holt’s understanding of the national electrical code accurately explains the electrical coding in detail. This information provided is helpful for existing and future electricians, although it may be a bit heavy on information for beginners.
Why are electrician books important?
Electricians maintain the electrical power of our homes and offices. The job of an electrician is very risky because he has to risk his life to deal with the problem we face regarding our electronics. They get in touch with dangerous electrical wirings every day.
It is important for them to have specific knowledge about what they do. They should have proper knowledge which they can only gain from electricians’ study books.
What is the purpose of electrician books?
The main purpose of the best books for electricians is to enhance the knowledge of the electricians. We live in a world of technology which is changing every day. With the changes in technology, the world of electronics has also witnessed technical advancements.
It is not easy for electricians to deal with these advancements without reading books for an electrical apprentice.
Are electrical books helpful for the electricians?
Yes, electrical books are very helpful for electricians. They are especially very useful for electricians who are new in the field. Dealing with electricity all day is very dangerous. You need to have a fundamental knowledge of the electrical wiring and other components involved in the process.
Why should you read electrician books?
As an expert electrician, you need to have proper knowledge when it comes to performing your job. You will only be confident to do your job well if you are well aware of it. You should read electrician books to understand the terms and languages of electricity.
You will also gain knowledge of how electrical operation system works. You will also be able to detect the electrical problem with ease if you read electrician books. Not only will you be able to solve the problem, but you will also be able to understand the various causes of the problem.
Does electrician books come with relevant electrical fundamentals?
Yes, electrician books come with important and relevant electrical fundamentals every electrician, engineer or a constructor needs to know.
If you are working on the site, and you get stuck while solving a problem, the best electrician books have all the information you need to know. They explain each and every concept in detail with proper diagrams and maps. They are easy for you to grasp and understand.
Why is it important to understand the electrical strategies for electricians from reading electrical books?
If there were no electricians in the world, there would be no electricity and no electronics. It is, therefore, important for an electrician to know the electrical strategies which are relevant to the electronics they are dealing with every day.
Every electrical problem involves a different and technical strategy to solve the problem. It is important for the electrician to have the exact know-how about providing a solution to the problem. They can only gain this knowledge by consulting the best electrician books available.
Dealing with electricity is a dangerous job. It is a job in which you risk your life. Therefore, it is important for you to have the right knowledge about the field before getting into it.
If you are interested in being an outstanding electrician, it is important for you the read the best electrician books to enhance your knowledge.
The books mentioned above are a rich source of information for you to increase your knowledge and vocabulary as an electrician. They provide accurate and reliable information that will help you succeed in your career. You can carry them with you in your tool bag or anywhere you go. They are your greatest companions.