Don’t you just hate it when your extension cord gets tangled up?
You end up spending a ridiculous amount of time untangling your cord, getting all the knots out of it, and then dragging it to wherever you need power. Not fun.
A good retractable extension cord resolves these issues. They’re durable and easy to mount, have a built-in circuit breaker, and provide tangle-free storage.
On the other hand, a lousy retractable extension cord is a complete waste of time and money – with a weak plastic casing, and continuously getting tangled.
To help you separate the good from the bad – we’ve reviewed the Top 5 Retractable Extension Cords of 2020.
Buy with the confidence that you’re buying one of the best retractable extension cord reels available. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
- Top 5 Retractable Extension Cord Reels
- Buyers Guide
Top 5 Retractable Extension Cord Reels
|Bayco SL-800 Retractable Metal Cord Reel with 3 Outlets - 30 Foot||CHECK PRICE|
|Flexzilla E8140503 ZillaReel Retractable, 14-3 AWG SJTOW, 50', Grounded...||CHECK PRICE|
|ReelWorks CR625201S3A Heavy Duty Extension Cord Reel With Swivel Bracket,...||CHECK PRICE|
|Alert Stamping 5020TFC Industrial Retractable Extension Cord Reel||CHECK PRICE|
|GOODYEAR Extension Cord Reel Extra Long (40 FT or 65 FT) 14AWG 3C SJTOW,...||CHECK PRICE|
- Retractable cord reel with 30 of integrated extension cord
- 3 separate grounded outlets
- LED status light on outlet bar
The Bayco retractable metal cord reel provides the users with many different features which make it one of the best retractable extension cords that you can find in the market.
The cable in this extension is about 30 foot which can be dragged around. You can plug your sockets into three different outlets. The body of this contraption can b mounted on the wall which gives keep it out of the way. Each outlet bar also has a LED which indicated the power position of it is making it easier to use.
The company further offers a one-year warranty making the customers a little more satisfied with their purchase. This electrical cord is available in a price that may seem high. However, it is worth it because it has a 10 amp rating.
- The LED light indicator is there to show if the power is on or off
- There is a separate switch for every outlet which saves energy and helps in reducing chances of short circuits around the house
- The cord is about 30 feet long, and it can be used efficiently to a distance
- The system can conveniently be mounted on the wall or the ceiling to keep the place looking neat
- Three outlet plugs can be a little less in usage
- It does not have a locking system while it is uncoiled
Bayco is a well-known name in electric solutions. This extension is one of the reasons why it is excellent. Even though this is a little overpriced, it is worth the purchase.
- ADJUSTABLE CORD STOPPER - Plus 3' cord lock increments ensures outlet is always within reach
- LIGHTED TRIPLE OUTLET - For plenty of capacity, includes grounded 4. 5' lead-in cord
- CIRCUIT BREAKER - With reset button prevents breaker trips and blown fuses
Flexzilla has produced one of the best retractable extension cords which help the users with their electric troubles. This extension cord reel comes with a triple outlet that can be used for three different purposes.
The cord stopper helps in adjusting the cord as you like in any direction. This cord reel can be mounted to the walls and can move in a 180 degrees direction which makes it all the more worthwhile. The circuit breaker allows users to prevent harming their appliances in case of a blown a fuse. The LED indicator helps in indicating when the power is on and when it is off.
The pre-loaded wire is oil and cold weather resistant and is designed to be used indoors. Even with the many different features that this offers, the price of this product seems to be over the roof.
- The LED indicator tells the users when the power is on and when it is off
- The reel can be mounted on the wall. With the swivel technology, you can move it in any direction for more convenience
- The circuit breaker button keeps the system safe from being shot
- The 50 feet wire is preloaded, and it is resistant to oil and the cold weather
- The triple receptacle end is robust and can break easily
- The cable seems to get stuck while pulling out
At a very high price, this product seems to fit perfectly to use around the house. It is a reasonable price ignoring the small drawbacks.
- SAFETY – This product helps making the workplace safe by keeping long electrical cords up and out of harm's way.
- EASY STORAGE – Tangle-free encased 12 Gauge SJT cord for easy winding & protection during storage. The spring driven retractable feature with latch keeps the cord where you want it during usage and quickly store it away when finished.
- DURABILITY/ EASY MOUNTING – This product is crafted with impact resistant polypropylene case. It comes with a swivel bracket allowing quick mounting on a wall or ceiling; helping you keep electrical cords out of the way when not in use.
The coil works heavy duty retractable extension cord reel has a cord of 65 feet and holds qualities that make it contribute to the list of the best retractable extension cords.
This reel is perfect for workplaces where heavy duty cords are required. It can easily be mounted on the ceiling or the wall to make it more convenient and keep the place safe and free from random wires moving around. The wire is of 15 amps and is perfect for heavy duty jobs in workplaces.
The cable stopper allows the users to enjoy the peace of getting the cable in the area they like and then retract it when the job is done. This extension reel comes at a very high price which is not worth the product.
- The reel is used for heavy-duty appliances especially at workplaces
- It can fit on the wall or the ceilings with convenience and security
- There is a cable stopper that stops the cable from pulling inside when it is in use
- It is 65 feet long which means that users can enjoy the distance of their use no matter what
- No LED indicator shows the power situation
- There is only one outlet attached to this product
In the price of what this offers users, you can easily buy another one that has many other features included. This cord; however, is a good purchase still for heavy duty jobs.
- 20-Feet 12/3 Cord Reel
- Clear NEMA 5-20R Outlet
- 15 Amp Circuit Breaker
The Alert stamping reel is on the list for the best retractable extension cord because of the many features that it has to offer its users. The electric cord reel is 20 feet long and has a single outlet that can be used around the house to provide convenience.
The wire is designed to be resistant to the cold weather while it has a circuit breaker of 15 amps. The power button is lighted so that an indication is made accessible to the user. Users can easily mount the system on the wall and use it at a distance of up to 20 feet with a clear outlet plug.
The length of the cord that is supposed to plug into the outlet is 18 inches which increases the convenience of mounting it on the wall. With many features and a perfect system to use at home, this reel comes in a little above average pricing.
- An illuminated indicator to show the situation of the power
- 18 inches of cord to plug into an outlet make it easy to mount to the wall
- The circuit breaker of 15 amps reduces damages in appliances while they are connected
- The wire is resistant to the cold weather
- The system cannot be mounted to a ceiling
- There is only one outlet plug that can be used
At just a little above average price, this extension reel can help you around the house. If you need it for a small one outlet purpose, then this is perfect to suit your needs.
- SPECIFICATIONS - This Reel is constructed of hard impact Polypropylene & comes with a 14AWG x 40' FT. 3C/SJTOW Triple Tap (S3) LED Light Up Connector. The Extension Cord consists of Commercial Premium Grade SJTOW Cable material. The 3 Core Wire Grounded Cable is rated at 13A 125VAC 1625W 60Hz, Utilizing a 3-prong plug NEMA 5-15R / NEMA 5-15P includes a 54" Lead-in Cord, Adjustable Cable Stopper & 2 Non Snag Rollers.
- EFFICIENT DESIGN - Goodyear Extension Cords are Commercial Premium Grade SJTOW Cables that are Resistant to: Acids, Alkalis, Water/Oil, UV, Ozone & kinking, as well as flame retardant. Our Cables are both operable & Ultra Flexible in the toughest temperatures of -58°F to 221°F (-50°C to 105°C), including a LED Light-Up Connector (for in the dark situations) for best advantage to suit your needs.
- SAFETY & PROPER USE - Our SJTOW Cables are OSHA, RoHS, ISO: 9001, 14001, CNAS, SQC, IAF, EL, cETLus, Intertek GS Listed approved, certified & cull quality tested. Goodyear Extension Cord Reels include a circuit breaker, to reset & protect from over currents. Our Reels are best suited for indoor & outdoor use, night or day environments, DIY or industrial applications, allowing for extension to be up out of the way keeping the workplace safe.
Goodyear is a known brand in many fields. Along with excelling in many other products, it also produces the best retractable extension cord for heavy duty purposes.
Unlike many others, the design is compact, and it gives a long cable to do that job more comfortably. The spring inside is enclosed so that no foreign particles can ever come and hinder the retractable quality of the product. The material of the whole system is high-quality plastic which ensures that it does not break easily while the product is used.
You can attach the product to the ceiling or the wall and enjoy the convenience. An included 60 inches lead cord is available with the product. Even though the brand is well known for its qualities, it still seems to be overcharging for what it is offering.
- The product is easily attachable to the ceiling or the wall
- The design is as compact as it can be for a neat and tidy effect
- The spring is enclosed to protect any foreign particles from entering and hindering the pulling in process
- The stopper allows you to stop the cable from retracting while you are working
- There is no power indicator light in the system
- It is only 60 inches long which compared to other products is nothing
Even though the perk of this is high quality, it has drawbacks which can make the customer rethink their decision to buy this product. Nevertheless, it is worth the quality.
You have seen the product reviews and to clear any confusion, this buying guide will help you understand the small and significant decisions you should make and the factors that you should look into while picking out the best retractable extension cord for you.
What Should The Size Of The Cord Be?
The first and foremost thing that you need to consider is the size of the extension cord reel that you need. Determine the size by deciding where you want it to be plugged, where will you keep it, and how far you need to take it. If you have a workshop, then you can go for as long as possible. Most companies offer the most extended cord to be about 65 feet which is a safe bet.
Remember that buying a more substantial cable will not matter since you can unroll it as much as you like, smaller ones can be a problem since they will end after a limit.
Do I Need A Wall Mounted Extension Cord Reel?
It is a smart idea to invest in a wall mounted extension cord reel since it will make it convenient for the users. You can only fix it on the wall or the ceiling and pull the cord as much as you want whenever you want. If the option is with the roof, then make sure a cable stopper is there to hold the cable to a length where you can pull it down from easily.
Why Is There A Swivel Option?
You will find the swivel option to be convenient if you opt for a wall mounting device. With this feature, the contraption can move in 180 degrees to match the direction of where you want to take the wire. This feature allows you to use less cable and pull out the cord without any obstacles.
What Kind Of Receptacle Do I Need?
You will see that there is a choice in the receptacle too which is a crucial part of the outlet. Some companies will offer a transparent and soft one which is not prone to breaking at all. Plastic ones are easy to cut if they are retracted with a little extra force.
Pliant receptacles are the best option most of the time since they have the perk of being durable. The best retractable extension cord is the one that has a repository that does not deceive you during your work.
Should I Opt For The Flexible Coil?
Of course, taking a flexible coil will be of significant advantage to you. You can drag it anywhere without worrying about natural cracks and short circuits. Most flexible cords are also prone to temperature change outside. They tend to last longer and are safer for your house or workplace.
If you still have a problem deciding, the conclusion will tell you our winner. Keeping in mind all the mentioned aspects, for us, the winner is the Bayco SL-800 Retractable Metal Cord Reel.
It is reasonable along with having the best features in the market. One of the crucial factors is that even after some different elements; it still is at the most reasonable price.