An AC disconnect (also known as a fuse box or switch box) is for controlling the breakers and fuses that lead to your air conditioner. AC disconnects act as safety switches that disconnect the load from the power sources.
The best AC disconnects are outdoor rated, provide easy access to the interior, and are built to last.
On the other hand, a lousy air conditioning disconnect is an overpriced cardboard box.
To help you separate the good from the bad – we’ve reviewed the Top 5 AC Disconnect Boxes of 2021.
Buy with the confidence that you’re buying one of the best air conditioning disconnect boxes on the market. Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
- Top 5 Best AC Disconnect
- Buying Guide
- Q1. Are these disconnects easy to install?
- Q2. What is meant by Ampere in the AC disconnect?
- Q3. What is the use of the voltage value in switches?
- Q4. What is the amp rating in a switch? Does it vary?
- Q5. What is meant by HP in AC disconnects?
- Q6. Which material is better?
- Q7. What are some other buying tactics which we can follow?
- Q8. What is meant by single phase AC disconnect?
Top 5 Best AC Disconnect
|SIEMENS WN2060U Non-Fused AC Disconnect||CHECK PRICE|
|SQUARE D BY SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC QO200TRNM 60A Non Fuse Disconect||CHECK PRICE|
|Cutler-Hammer DPU222RP Non-Fusible A/C Disconnect Switch, Gray||CHECK PRICE|
|Siemens WF2030GFCI 30 Amp Fusible AC Disconnect with GFI Receptacle , GREY||CHECK PRICE|
|TV205230 GE Energy Industrial Solutions TV205230 30A 2Pole AC Disconnect||CHECK PRICE|
1. SIEMENS Air Conditioner (AC) Disconnect Box
A good working AC disconnect by a renowned company, Siemens. This is an Air conditioner disconnect box which has a steel enclosure. So, this makes it a sturdy disconnect box for your home. It includes all materials of imported quality. So, this makes sure that it remains durable. It is a 60 Amp disconnect box with a single phase. It has 2 poles suitable for a single phase AC circuits. Also, it has 2 wires system.
The voltage level at which this disconnect box includes is 240 volts. It features a rugged material with an easy to install facility. You can mount it easily for a quick installation. Its pullout head can be easily replaced in the off position. This is the best AC disconnect for disconnecting electrical equipment. This disconnect has a one year warranty for parts only. Also, it is UL listed for its safety.
- Excellent air conditioner disconnect box
- 60 amp disconnect box (pull out type)
- The steel structure of this disconnect box is quite rigid.
- It is easy to install a box with all the instructions.
- This is a great quality from a good company at a reduced
- It is appropriate for electric water heaters and AC units.
- Total 6 knockouts for ½’’ or ¾’’ conduit, two on the bottom and one on each side.
- Non fused AC disconnect
This is a great disconnect box by Siemens. For a sturdy material, accurate safety and less price, this is a perfect choice for you.
2. SQUARE D Air Conditioner (AC) Disconnect Box
- Square D by Schneider Electric QO 60 Amp 240-Volt 7.5-Kilowatt Non-Fused Air Conditioner Disconnect
- Use to disconnect power to air conditioner equipment
- Features a non-metallic, rainproof enclosure designed for outdoor installations
Another among the list of the best AC disconnect. This is an AC disconnect with 60 Amps amperage capacity value and 240 volts. It is a 7.5-kilowatt nonfused AC disconnect. From a company of 90 years’ experience in this industry, this is a great AC disconnect for a great price. It is made of a sturdy non-metallic structure. So, it will remain rust-free and last longer. This thing makes it suitable for installation on the outdoors.
This is a perfect and safest AC disconnect which is used to disconnect electric equipment. Its rainproof enclosure lets you install it out of your homes as well. It is a not fusible air conditioner disconnect. The rough electrical and disconnect terminals are the included components. Also, it is available in gray color. You can install it easily with an easy to install instructions.
- This is a great disconnect between an unbelievably less price.
- It has a very sturdy quality material used in its outer construction for protection against the weather.
- 60 amp disconnect box
- Fantastic outdoor air conditioner disconnect switch
- It has a quick installation feature.
- It provides short protection and gives zero overcurrent.
- This is much cheaper for its quality and features.
- Slightly pricier than alternatives
- Non fused AC disconnect
The AC disconnect by squared Schneider is one of the best AC disconnects for your home safety. It does its job nicely and at a much better price.
3. CUTLER-HAMMER Air Conditioner (AC) Disconnect Box
- The product is easy to use
- The product is manufactured in china
- The product is highly durable
A single phase AC disconnect by Cutler-Hammer. This AC disconnect has 2 poles and 2 wires system. It has a voltage level of 240 volts. It features an amperage value of 60 Amps. This AC disconnect has a galvanized steel enclosure with a molded switch. So, this makes it a heavy-duty and durable disconnect. Not only this, but it is also welded and has riveted construction which makes it a little stronger.
It is rated 3 HP at 120 volts and 10 HP at 240 volts. It has a swing-up cover that maintains its place when in an open position. Featuring 10,000 AIR, it has provision for padlocking. This is one of the best AC disconnects and is UL listed for its safe usage. Its protective shield can be removed for access to the fuses. This is great to have an AC disconnect for your electrical equipment’s safety. With a compact size, it is easy to install and looks good.
- This connector box is very well made.
- It is easy to install this AC disconnect.
- The most beneficial thing about this product is that it has a lockable cover.
- 60 amp disconnect box
- The structure of the outer AC disconnect is sturdy.
- This is a great product available for safety for an awesome price (great value for the money).
- This AC disconnect cannot be made fusible
An ideally suitable for making your electrical equipment usage safer. This disconnect by Cutler-Hammer would be a great purchase for your safety.
4. SIEMENS Air Conditioner (AC) Disconnect Box
- UL Listed disconnect
- Outdoor rated
- Metal enclosure
Another awesome AC disconnect by Siemens. This one is also UL listed for its safety and protection. It is an outdoor-rated AC disconnect. It means it is good to use outdoors installations. It can protect the inner fuses from harsh weather conditions. Its amperage value is 30 AMP. With a metal enclosure, it is a sturdy AC disconnect to have in your home.
Not only this, but it is also a single phase disconnect with 30 or 60 AMPS rated. It also gives padlocking features for protection against unauthorized access. It has two options for the material; either plastic or steel. Also, this disconnect features a sliding switch as well as fusible and non-fusible options. It has GFI receptacles installed. Its GFI receptacle is a 15A. The open bottom of the cover allows plugging the cord into it whether the door closes or opens.
- The installation of this disconnect box is very easy.
- This is an excellent product to have in your home for the safety of your electrical equipment.
- 30 amp non fused ac disconnect (fusible available, pull out type)
- It has a sturdy material that will last for a long time.
- Options with GFI receptacles installed
- Fusible or non-fused
- Sometimes a contact from pull out is missing.
- Sometimes, when it arrives, it is broken.
A great and one of the best AC disconnect for you. It is a product from a renowned company so this ensures its quality guarantee.
5. GE Air Conditioner (AC) Disconnect Box
- Item Weight: 3.93 lb
- Country of Origin: China
- Brand name: GE
A highly durable and long-lasting AC disconnect. GE is known for manufacturing its best AC disconnects in the market. This product is made in China. It is a fusible AC disconnect with an amperage value of 30 AMPS. It has two poles like others. Also, it is a single-phase AC disconnect. The outer material is made of a sturdy steel structure. It does not corrode any sooner.
With a compact size, it is easy to install and looks good. The product has a high-quality design and used high-quality material in its manufacturing. This AC disconnect is one of the best AC disconnect available for a cheaper price. It is safe to use a disconnect which protects against short circuits and over current. It can protect the inner fuses from harsh weather conditions.
- This AC disconnect is great to use for solar setup as well.
- This is a very reasonably priced AC disconnect.
- Made of sturdy material.
- It is made of imported quality material in China.
- 2 Pole 30 amp Fusible AC Disconnect
- The cutout is not properly cut, and sometimes you need to use a chisel.
This is an awesome protector for all your electrical equipment. GE AC disconnect is available at a reasonable price and with great features.
AC disconnects can save you from many mishaps. But for that, having the right type of AC disconnect is very important. So, here we have collected some buying guides for you to pick the best AC disconnect.
Q1. Are these disconnects easy to install?
Yes, most of the AC disconnects which come on the market have their instructions manual with them. This makes it for the user to install them easily. They have screws and mounting holes so you can easily mount them. You won’t be needing any special assistance for that.
Q2. What is meant by Ampere in the AC disconnect?
These are the type of switch ratings. They are usually listed by horsepowers, volts and also the amperes. It is the value of the current which this AC disconnect supports. If it is 60 AMP, it will be for the current value/ amperage of 60 AMP. It is the value of the flow of electricity through it.
Q3. What is the use of the voltage value in switches?
Voltage is an electric potential. Without it, there would be no amperes. The voltage rating is the ability of the switch or AC disconnect to suppress the internal arc. The voltage marked on the AC disconnects allows the switch to function properly at that current value for that maximum voltage.
Q4. What is the amp rating in a switch? Does it vary?
The amp rating is the max current that a particular disconnect can carry. It is different for different AC disconnect and varies.
Q5. What is meant by HP in AC disconnects?
HP means the Horse Power. It reflects the amount of the current it can handle whenever the device is turned on. The more Horse Power any AC disconnect has, the better it is. Because it will be able to withstand high values of currents.
Q6. Which material is better?
AC disconnects come in mostly two types of materials. One is the steel structure and the other one is plastic. Though, it depends on the user as he needs which type. But, mostly steel ones are considered to be sturdier. They can bear harsh weather conditions. If it is made of good quality steel, it will not corrode any sooner.
The drawback of plastic is that it is more prone to breaking. But, they have qualities among them. And, good quality plastic material will make AC disconnect to last for a long time.
Q7. What are some other buying tactics which we can follow?
The most important thing you can keep in mind is your home wiring. Your AC disconnect should match with the wiring structure of your home. Also, don’t rely only on price. Look for the best AC disconnect you can have in the price you can pay. Make sure, you have a warranty claim with you if you are going to but this.
Q8. What is meant by single phase AC disconnect?
In a single phase AC disconnect, the voltages of the supply vary in unison. Single phase is an AC alternating current electric power. In that case, there is one neutral wire and only one power wire.
AC disconnects are great when it comes to protecting your air conditioners from shorts. They feature multiple amps and volts values as well as materials. Among some of the best AC disconnects we discussed, Siemens’ WN2060U stands on the top. It is because of its reasonable price, good quality and compact size that makes it stand at the top.