Clamp meters (or clamp on multimeters) are electrical devices that are essentially a digital multimeter equipped with a current sensor. Clamp meters use probes to measure the incoming voltage while the clamp is used to measure the current through a wire.
A good clamp meter is an absolute delight to work with, and can save you a hell of a lot of time.
A bad clamp meter on the other hand, can be a frustrating and dangerous waste of time.
To make sure you’re getting good value for your money – we’ve reviewed the Top 5 Clamp Meters for Electricians of 2021.
Buy with the confidence that you’re getting one of the best clamp meters on the market.
Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
- Top 5 Best Clamp Meter For Electricians
- Buying Guide
- Final Word
Top 5 Best Clamp Meter For Electricians
|Fluke 323 True-RMS Clamp Meter||CHECK PRICE|
|Amprobe AMP-210 Clamp Meter||CHECK PRICE|
|Klein Tools CL110KIT Electrical Tester / Maintenance Kit w/Clamp Meter,...||CHECK PRICE|
|Extech MA445 True RMS 400A AC/DC Clamp Meter with NCV||CHECK PRICE|
|IDEAL INDUSTRIES INC. 61-744 Clamp Meter 600 Amp AC with NCV, Voltage...||CHECK PRICE|
- Digital clamp meter measures AC current to 400 amp, AC and DC voltage to 600 v, and resistance to 4 kilo ohms. Does not measure DC current
- The true RMS sensing meter provides accurate readings when measuring linear or non-linear loads, regardless of waveform
- Jaw opening measures current in a conductor up to 30 millimeter without touching or interrupting the circuit. Resistance accuracy: 1.0% ± 5 digits
An astounding product by Fluke, the Fluke 323 True-RMS Clamp Meter is indeed one of the best clamp meters for electricians out there on the market. With an ability to measure vast amounts of AC currents and AC voltages, the Fluke 323 stands at the top of our list.
Being able to measure up to 400 Amperes of AC current and up to 600 Volts of AC Voltage, the Fluke 323 Clamp Meter is surely one to keep in your bag. With this, you never have to worry about waveforms or what kind of input is being fed to the device. It utilizes the True RMS technology to display accurate measurements regardless of load lines and waveforms.
The Fluke 323 utilizes its broad jaw to measure AC current; the jaw opens up to 30mm which is ample space to measure the desired vitals and it still would not disturb the circuit itself. With a high regard to safety, the Fluke 323 Clamp Meter is IEC certified and is also CAT-IV and CAT-III certified which makes it the best digital clamp meter.
Overall the the Fluke clamp meter is one of the best electrical tools out there, and is well worth its premium price tag.
- It uses True-RMS technology to accurately measure current and voltage.
- The clamp’s jaw opens up to 30mm wide which provides ample space to measure the vitals without disturbing the circuit.
- Meets international safety standards.
- It features a sleek, modern and ergonomic design from top to bottom.
- Unlike conventional clamp meters, you will not have to move the leads around to take different measurements.
- Can’t measure DC current (it can measure DC voltage though)
- Slightly pricey than some alternatives (but well worth it)
The Fluke 323 True-RMS Clamp Meter is definitely one worth buying, it is somewhat expensive, however, the other features make up for the price and make it the best clamp-on multi-meter. We would definitely recommend buying this product as it provides the best kind of solutions.
- Capacitance measurement for start and run motor capacitors
- Safety Rated: CAT III 600 V (AMP-310, AMP-320); CAT IV 600 V, CAT III 1000 V (AMP-330)
The Amprobe AMP-210 Clamp Meter is yet another amazing product by Amprobe as it is sturdy, durable and useful at the same time. Being a dynamic clamp meter, the Amprobe AMP-210 Clamp Meter uses True-RMS technology to accurately measure AC as well as DC currents and voltages. Being able to measure up to 600 Volts of AC and DC voltage, the clamp-meter boasts wide and sturdy jaws which open up to a maximum of 35 mm for a wide variety of cables, wires and, conductors.
A very exclusive feature is included with this device which is the Amp-Tip function which enables you to accurately measure vitals to the tenth of an Ampere.
Not only that, the Amprobe AMP-210 proves itself to be the best electricians’ multimeter due to the fact that it can measure from 5-99 Hz and resistance up to 60K ohms. Another exclusive feature of the best clamp multimeter is that it is able to measure capacitance as well; and up to 2500µF.
- Measure capacitance up to 2500 µF.
- It uses Amp-Tip function to accurately measure vitals to the tenth of an Ampere.
- The True-RMS technology to fully make sure of accuracy while taking measurements.
- It uses a NCV (Non-contact Voltage) detection, similiar to many of the best non contact voltage testers
- It has been safety rated as CAT-III.
- It is unable to do continuity testing with high efficiency
- In extreme environmental conditions, it will malfunction or give faulty readings.
The Amprobe AMP-210 is available on the market at an expensive price and we would recommend it if you wish to have a device with the most features. Overall, it boasts amazing features which make it one of the best clamp meters on the markets.
- Clamp Meter measures AC current via the clamp, and AC/DC voltage, resistance and continuity via test leads
- GFCI Receptacle Tester detects the most common wiring problems in standard and GFCI receptacles including open group, reverse polarity, open hot, open neutral and hot/ground reversed
- Line splitter allows the measuring of current draw up to 15A without splitting the load's power cord
Klein Tools brings you a top-of-the-line product which not only promises durability and accuracy, it is also a certified safe device. The Klein Tools CL110KIT detects the most common wiring problems in standard and GFCI receptacles.
When working in night hours or in a particularly dark place, it is difficult to accurately read the display, for this purpose, Klein Tools CL110KIT provides a backlit LCD Display to be able to read the measurements better. The device is amazingly sturdy and does not require a lot of effort to operate.
The device can withstand a drop from up to 4 meters high.
- Uses a back-lit display for better vision.
- Uses AAA batteries for longer duration and better operation of the device.
- Withstand a fall up to 4 meters high.
- Measure DC as well as AC currents and voltages.
- Measure resistance as well.
- It does not use True-RMS technology.
- It has a limited number of quantities which it can measure.
This product is extremely affordable and we would highly recommend you to buy this product. It is an amazing product in its price range and will deliver to your expectations. It will also work for you a long time than other devices will which makes it one of the best clamp meters for electricians.
- TAPERED JAW DESIGN: Non-Contact Voltage (70-600VAC) clamp meter with tapered jaws and hook tip. Features a compact jaw design for reaching into tight spaces.
- AC/DC CAPABILITIES: Clamp Meter measures AC/DC voltage and resistance and measures 600 AAC current. Auto/manual ranging.
- AUTO SHUT OFF: Convenient low battery indicator and auto power off so that you can ensure your clamp meter is always charged and ready to use. To extend the life of your battery, the meter shuts of after approximately 10 minutes of non-use.
The IDEAL 61-744 Clamp-Pro Clamp Meter is a dynamic digital clamp meter which promises to ensure safety, durability and, accuracy. Equipped with NCV detection, it measures large amounts of AC as well as DC currents and voltages; which make it versatile. The NCV detection makes it easier for the operator to measure voltages in a given circuit.
It also boasts several indicators such as a low battery indicator, Auto-power off and several others which make it very convenient to use. The IDEAL 61-744 Clamp-Pro Clamp Meter utilizes a tapered and hooked tip which makes clamping wires, conductors and cables a lot easier. It also fashions a sleek and ergonomic design.
It is an extremely durable device that also provides a 1-year warranty but that is dependent on the retailer from whom you buy this product.
- Measure up to 600 AC as well as DC voltage.
- Measure up to 400 Amperes of AC and DC voltage
- A tapered jaw for a more secure clamp; which ensures accurate readings
- It has a safety rating of CAT-III.
- Provides a 2-year warranty provided by the company itself.
- Uses 2 AAA batteries which makes it easier to replace those batteries in case they run out.
- It does not use True-RMS technology.
- The clamp sometimes will not open due to a locking mechanism in the device.
- It does not measure frequencies accurately.
Being a dynamic clamp meter, the IDEAL Clamp-Pro Clamp Meter utilizes state-of-the-art technology to give out better readings and measurements. It is definitely a somewhat pricey product and we would recommend you to buy it if you are conscious of the warranty of products.
- True RMS feature for accurate readings regardless of waveforms
- 1.2" (30mm) jaw size fits conductors up to 500MCM
- Large backlit LCD display and built-in Flashlight
Extech is renowned for producing some of the best clamp meters ever. Their astounding product, the Extech MA445 Clamp Meter boasts True-RMS technology which ensures accurate readings and measurements regardless of the waveforms and environmental conditions.
It also sports a large backlit LCD display for better visibility and legibility and a built-in Flashlight for times when you are in the dark and need to measure current or voltage. It consists of a 1.2-inch jaw size which fits conductor of 500MCM. This is a handy feature when it comes to measuring current and voltage of different types of wires, conductors and, cables.
Being a versatile clamp meter, the Extech MA445 has various factors which it can measure which include: AC/DC voltage, NCV, AC/DC current, Capacitance, Frequency, resistance, Diode test, type-k temperature, and continuity.
It also features a relative DC mode and a DC zero mode for better measurement of capacitance. The device is capable of holding data and will turn itself off after a certain period of time being idle.
- True-RMS technology to obtain better measurements.
- The Extech MA445 also provides a large LCD backlit display for better reading and visibility.
- Operable in AC as well as DC voltage.
- It is a highly versatile device being able to measure up to 10 different quantities.
- It also features an auto power-off.
- The equipment that comes with the clamp meters is sometimes faulty.
- It is not very durable as the clamp meters cannot stand a fall.
One of the best clamp meters out there, this device offers everything which an electrician or engineer could ask for. The versatility and affordability of this clamp meter make it truly something to have in your toolkit.
To help you decide what is the best multimeter for electricians and how to use a clamp meter, we have prepared a buying guide for you in order to assist you in buying the best clamp meter for you.
Does Accuracy Really Matter?
Simply put, the accuracy is an essential part of the clamp meter as it determines whether your readings and calculations will be correct or not. Ignoring or not giving much importance to this factor can lead to a serious consequence which can even be fatal. The best clamp meters have an accuracy range of ±5 units. Anything above that is should be totally unacceptable as it can be dangerous and inconvenient.
Which Quantities are Essential for a Good Clamp Meter?
The best clamp meters provide you the basic facility to be able to measure AC voltage, DC voltage, AC current, DC current, resistance and, hFE. Some variants may provide with additional features such as Capacitance, Frequency, type-k temperature, Diode test and continuity which are secondary quantities and are not essentially present in all clamp meters.
What to Keep in Mind about the Jaws?
The clamp jaws are an extremely important part of the clamp meter and should hence be treated with appropriate caution. Make sure the clamp does not have a safety lock inside the jaws as this has a risk of getting stuck and making the jaws completely useless. The jaws should be able to open up to at least 30mm or higher. The greater they can open up, the better chances of comfortably getting the accurate readings.
Is Warranty Important While Purchasing a Clamp Meter?
A clamp meter is an electronic device used in electrical applications to measure several quantities which are essential for different kinds of calculations and measurements. It is therefore important that the clamp meters should have a good warranty. Some of the best clamp meters offer a warranty that usually lasts 2 years.
What are the Ideal Ranges of the Best Clamp Meters?
The best clamp meters have the following ideal ranges
|AC Voltage (RMS)||0-600V|
Picking out the right clamp meter is vital to your engineering measurements and instrumentation. After careful evaluation and scrutiny of several different types of clamp meters, we have decided to announce the Fluke 323 True-RMS Clamp Meter as the best clamp meter for electricians. For, not only does it provide the best kind of facilities and completes all safety requirements, it is also a sturdy and stylish device to have in your toolkit. The Fluke 323 True-RMS Clamp Meter trumps all other clamp meters; whether it be in terms of warranty, durability or convenience.