A good electric screwdriver is an absolute pleasure to work with (not to mention a huge time saver).
A comfortable cushion grip handle, a nice long battery life, a magnetic bit holder, and a wide variety of screwdriver tips to choose from.
On the other hand, a poor-quality electric screwdriver is a complete waste of time – with a frustratingly small battery life, and frequently lacking the correct screwdriver tips for the job.
To help you separate the good from the bad – we’ve reviewed the Top 5 Electric Screwdrivers of 2019.
Buy with the confidence that you’re buying one of the best electric screwdrivers on the market.
Let’s dive straight into the reviews.
- Top 5 Best Insulated Screwdriver Sets
- WIHA 32091 1000 Volt Slotted and Phillips Insulated Screwdriver Set (5 Pieces)
- Klein Tools 33532INS 4-Inch Insulated Screwdriver Set (2 Pieces)
- Milwaukee 48-22-2202 Insulated Screwdriver Set (3 Pieces)
- Wera Kraftform Plus 160i/6 Insulated Professional Screwdriver Set (6 Pieces)
- DeWalt DWHT66417 VINYL Grip Insulated Screwdriver Set (10 Pieces)
- What is a Screwdriver?
- How I Made My List
Top 5 Best Insulated Screwdriver Sets
|Wiha 32091 5-Piece 1000-Volt Slotted and Phillips Insulated Screwdriver Set||$32.30||Buy on Amazon|
|Klein Tools 33532-INS Electrical Insulated Screwdriver Set of 2, 4-Inch...||$41.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Milwaukee 48-22-2202 3-Piece 1000V Insulated Screwdriver Set||$25.56||Buy on Amazon|
|Dewalt DWHT66417 VINYL GRIP INSULATED SCREWDRIVER SET - 10 PC||$35.07||Buy on Amazon|
|Wera Kraftform Plus 160i/6 Insulated Professional Screwdriver Set, 6-Piece||$28.45||Buy on Amazon|
- Wiha tools are made to ISO quality standards.
- Wiha has been making Premium Tools For Over 60 Years
- Each tool individually 10,000 tested for insulation integrity, ergo molded insulated cushioned grips, 1000-Volt rated
WIHA’s 32091 slotted and Phillips screwdriver set of 5 includes slotted 3.0, 4.5, and 6.5 screwdrivers and 1 and 2 Phillips screwdrivers. Safety is guaranteed as each insulated screwdriver is individually tested to 10 000 volts and is certified to 1000 Volt AC or 1500 Volt DC. High durability is evident with the screwdrivers’ blade high alloy chrome-vanadium-molybdenum steel, hardened, black finish. WIHA SoftFinish cushion grip handle features advanced technology dual material moulding and provides comfort and greater torque for the users.
- Each tool in the set is individually 10 000 Volt tested for insulation integrity.
- Insulation moulded directly onto blade.
- Ergonomic moulded insulated cushioned grips.
- The products are super hardened and tempered for long lasting performances.
- WIHA tools are made to pass ISO Standards.
- The slotted-tip screwdrivers sometimes don’t fit standard screw slots.
- Includes one 1/4-Inch Cabinet-Tip (602-4-INS) and one #2 Phillips-Tip (603-4-INS)
- Reduces risk with work up to 1000 volts
- Durable, two-layer, molded insulation
Klein’s 33532INS insulated screwdriver set of 2 includes ¼ inch cabinet-tip (602-4-INS) and a #2 Phillips-tip (603-4-INS). Its two-layer, moulded insulation guarantees high durability, providing long lasting use. In addition, a white high-dielectric inner coating is bonded to the steel.
Each screwdriver’s orange outer coating is flame and impact resistant and has optimum insulation for up to 1000 Volts, providing additional safety while working.
- The set includes one ¼ inch Cabinet-tip (602-4-INS) and one #2 Phillips-tip (603-4-INS).
- Each screwdriver in the set is made of high quality materials.
- The screwdrivers are insulated for up to 1000 Volts.
- The set is highly durable with its flame and impact resistant orange outer coating.
- There are no note-worthy cons regarding this product.
- FLAME RETARDANT AND IMPACT RESISTANT SHANK AND HANDLE resist up to 1000V of electricity
- LABELED HANDLES will give you easy access to your tools without taking time to inspect them before you work
- DUAL INSULATION WITH TWO COLORS: The top layer of insulation is red, while the bottom layer is yellow. This will let you know if your screwdriver has sustained damage and help you reduce risk
Milwaukee’s 48-22-2202 insulated screwdriver set of 3 includes #1-4 inch ECX Shaft Screwdriver (INS), ¼ inch-6inch Slotted Shaft Screwdriver (INS) and a #2-4 inch Phillips Shaft Screwdriver (INS).
Screwdrivers in this set are the only UL Classified Screwdrivers that are tested IEC 60900: 2012, ASTM F1505-10 and NFPA 70E Standards and meet the OSHA insulated tool requirement. Each of the screwdrivers is flame and impact resistant and features a dual layer of insulation for maximum protection and a visual wear indicator to issue a replacement warning the user.
- The 3 screwdrivers in the set are highly durable and are flame and impact resistant.
- The drivers come with lanyard holes that prevent the tools from dropping and protect the insulation from damage.
- Each screwdriver has visible ID markings that allow the users to quickly identify the tool when in the workplace.
- The tools provide 1000 Volt insulation.
- The set meets the OSHA Insulated Tool Standard and is VDE and GS certified.
- The tool would be better with magnetized tips.
- The tips tend to wear down after long use.
- Features Lasertip Slotted and Phillips drive tips and rack
- Each screwdriver is tested at 10,000 volts in a water bath to guarantee safe working standards of 1000 Volts
- Lasertip micro-rough drive tip bites into the fastener to ensure a perfect fit and reduce cam-out effect
The Wera Kraftfrom plus 160i/6 insulated screwdriver set of 6 features Lasertip Slotted and Phillips driver tips and rack. Each screwdriver in this set is tested at 10 000 Volts in a water bath, providing safe working standard of 1000 Volts. Its Lasertip micro-rough tip ensures perfect fitting and reduces cam-out effect. The screwdrivers come with a multi-component Kraftform handle that fits the shape to the user’s hand for more comfort and improved torque.
- The set provides guaranteed safety with its working standard of 1000 Volts.
- Its handles are specifically designed to fit in the user’s hand for more comfort and high speed torque transfer.
- Its Lasertip micro-rough tips ensure précised fastener fitting.
- The company offers a limited lifetime warranty.
- The assortment of sizes isn’t so great.
- The handles are somewhat small.
- Authorized Distributor Includes All Documentation and Support.
DeWalt’s vinyl grip insulated screwdriver set of 10 provides 1000 Volts of insulation and is VDE certified. The screwdrivers come with a vinyl grip handle and a precision handle for added utility. It has a quick-release mechanism for secure and easy blade change.
- The screwdrivers have up to 1000 volts of insulation.
- The set comes with vinyl grip handle and precision handle for additional utility.
- The insulation is molded directly onto the blade for permanent bonding.
- The set comes with a durable tool pouch for easier tool organization.
- The tips are very soft.
What is a Screwdriver?
A screwdriver is not just your average and basic tool as it plays a big role when operating and doing a task in the workplace. As we all know, a screwdriver is a tool that is used for turning screws, either for inserting, tightening or removing the screws. These tools are designed such that it can be operated in two ways; the manual and the ratchet.
Manual Screwdrivers: Manual screwdrivers are obviously one of the most recognizable hand tool variations, consisting of a thick handle and a cylindrical steel shank which ends are the working tip of the screwdriver. Because of this design (the handle is larger than the tip), the user only requires a moderate twisting force to turn the tool on the screw head. When using a manual screwdriver, the user has to lift the screwdriver from the screw head after every turn of the screw and reposition it before the next turn.
Ratchet Screwdrivers: Ratchet screwdrivers, on the other hand, reduce the need to lift and reposition the screwdriver tip after every turn, therefore, saving the time of the user during this kind of operation. An internal ball-bearing mechanism allows the user to make multiple turns with just an easy back and forth wrist action. The user can both insert (in a clockwise motion) and remove (in a counter-clockwise motion) screws by changing the direction of the ratchet action through a button on the screwdriver.
These tools don’t universally as people use different types of screws to start with, however, people also made different types of screwdrivers to suit the screws they’re dealing with. To help you more about this, we’ve gathered some information about screwdriver types.
While flathead screws aren’t as commonly used as the Phillips screw, these little flathead things are found in furniture sets and are used in several electrical applications. Flathead screwdrivers are needed for plate cover installations on outlets and switches, and in other instances where it’s important not to over-tighten a screw. Their tip sizes vary from fractions of millimetres (tiny enough to tighten eyeglass screws) and up to an inch or larger (it can fit for industrial screws). When matching a flathead screwdriver to a flat screw, pick the one that matches the width and depth of the slot on the screw head.
Flathead screwdrivers are best used for tightening and loosening slotted screws.
Phillips screws are widely used for construction and woodworking applications. Phillips screws fit screw screwdrivers and bits that are labelled “Ph”, followed by a number from 0000 up to the number 4 in increasing size. Just an important reminder, the screwdriver sizes don’t correspond with the Phillips screw sizes and you have to physically match the driver tip to the screw.
Phillips screwdrivers are best used for multipurpose building and remodelling, especially drywall installation.
Hex-head screws are commonly small and are mostly found on doorknobs, towel bars, faucet handles, and are even used in mechanical installations, thus these operations need the help of a hex key screwdriver (or Allen screwdriver) to tighten and loosen this type of screw. These screwdrivers and bits range in sizes to fit hex-head screws from 0.3 inch to 3/8 inch. Hex head screwdrivers, or wrenches, are often L- or T-shaped manual screwdrivers; however hex bits are also available for both ratcheting screwdrivers and drills.
Hex-head screwdrivers are best used for installing small fixtures such as towel bars and doorknobs.
Robertson screws have this advantage where screwdriver slippages are reduced. These screws range in recess sizes from 1/6 inch to 3/16 inch and are extensively used in construction and remodelling projects. Robertson screws are most often inserted and removed using a power drill.
Robertson screwdrivers are best used for woodworking and construction with a power drill.
It’s very important that you match every screwdriver type to its corresponding screw head and size. Do this and you’ll be able to work at ease.
We encourage also pairing your insulated screwdriver up with electrician gloves and electrician boots to help protect you even more from an electrical shock. Both the boots and the gloves are a vital part of your electrical tools.
How I Made My List
Before completing my list of the best insulated screwdrivers, there are a few things that I considered and kept in mind. These things may also serve as your guide before you place an order for screwdrivers (or even for anything) so you save your time and money from additional expenses when the tool broke while you’re using it.
Quality is one of the most important things you should remind yourself with. An insulated screwdriver made from poor quality materials is the kind of screwdrivers found in every workman’s nightmare. The more you know about the product, the more time and money you save. Be observant and don’t be carried away by the advertisements and the cost. At times, an expensive tool isn’t really what it was advertised.
Durability will always be the partner of quality. This dictates how long you can use your insulated screwdriver. As much as possible, your screwdriver should be chrome plated to prevent corrosion. If your tool is made from high quality material, then there’s a big possibility that it’s highly durable as well. A durable tool provides long lasting performance for your work needs.
Brand names are a big plus when choosing a tool. People tend to go for more popular brands as they have this conception that big brands guarantee them the best tool. While it is true that tools under well-known brands help people decide, faulty products can also be distributed by these brands. You should know that just because this brand is famous for their product’s characteristics, it doesn’t already mean that no other brands offer the same. However, for some people, the brand is not the case but convenience is. Therefore, you should pick a tool that will make you comfortable while using it. Brand names won’t make your job any easier, but the right tool suited for you will.
Match your screwdriver to the task that’s needed to be done. It’s as simple as that. As what have been mentioned in the beginning of this article, there are screwdriver types that suits different screw heads. Same goes for the type of screwdriver tips. There’s the normal tip and the magnetic tip. When working on metals, it’s best to have an insulated screwdriver with a magnetic tip to help you work faster and easier. When working on woods, any screwdriver will do. I highly suggest that you purchase the tool that best suits your work roles.
Now I have come to the end of this product review article. Hopefully, this article guided you in the world of insulated screwdrivers. Don’t forget about the properties you should consider before buying these tools. With those properties in mind, you can select the most optimum insulated screwdriver set for your requirements, guaranteed!